Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Help a new student: I need to know more about anti-nutrients?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline JulieG

• Alumni
Help a new student: I need to know more about anti-nutrients?
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
I am a new student.  Anti-nutrients are a new concept for me.  I am looking for good sources of information on what they are, where they occur, what exactly they do, and how we can alleviate their impacts.  I would appreciate website links, articles, and peer-reviewed journals.

Thanks in advance!
julie

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Help a new student: I need to know more about anti-nutrients?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
Hi Julie and welcome to the program. I apologize for the delay in getting a response to you. I was waiting to see if a student would jump in with an answer. (Guess not)

Antinutrients are substances that inhibit the absorption of nutrients in our bodies. These substances are a part of the foods we eat, such as the phytic acid in grains that inhibits absorption of minerals. They are found in plant foods and are basically toxins, which most likely developed as a means of preventing animals from eating and digesting so many of their seeds that their reproductive abilities would be too greatly diminished, or as a means of preventing seed sprouting before the time was right.

If you Google the word, 'antinutrients', you'll come up with a few sites that explain the concept in detail and provide more examples. For many of these antinutrients, though, there are ways of preparing foods that can reduce or eliminate their effects. You'll be getting this information as you go along, though you can also find it online. There's a good article from the Weston A. Price folks on grains. You might enjoy it:  http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html

anything