Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: A niche  (Read 6427 times)

Offline JennaA

• Alumni
  • Green is next to Godliness
A niche
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:02:57 PM »
I currently work at a nutrition store where I have been for 3 years and I also do Detox footbaths as a side business. I am interested in starting the NE/NC programs, but don't know exactly what my niche would be for a career further down the line. Do you recommend knowing exactly what direction you want to go or is passion, interest and desire to help others enough to get started? As I learn, I imagine much more wil be revealed...Would my mentor in the Distance Learning program be available to help brainstorm and perhaps determine my strengths and weaknesses?
Also, I am moving to Ashland, Oregon this year. Does anyone know how the job market is up there for nutritionists?

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: A niche
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Hi Jenna,

Many of our students come into the program with a desire to be of service in the field of nutrition or culinary arts (some come for personal reasons only). Of those interested in careers, some of them know exactly what they want to do with their education and others develop their field of interest as they are exposed to various directions and interest groups during their education.  The coursework at Bauman College is designed so that you are doing practical applications, first on yourself and then working with others.  You will be exposed to various directions and taylor many of your homework assignments to the group or subject that interests you.  I am sure that as you move through the curriculum you will be able to determine your strengths and weaknesses, but certainly your Mentor, who will be working with you one-on-one, will be a valuable feedback tool for you as you move through the material.

To delve more into how the Bauman College curriculum can best help you with your future goals or perception of future goals, Schedule a One-On-One Appointment with a Bauman College Advisor today!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline GailG

• Alumni
Practicing as a nutritionist in Oregon
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »
Hi "Niche",

I was recently looking into Oregon law as it relates to the licensure of nutritionists and found this site: http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=license_seng&link_item_id=1552.

It does show that it supports the licensure of 'dietitians.' But I found this discouraging since nothing was mentioned about nutritionists who aren't 'registered dietitians.' Does anyone out there know more about how a 'Bauman College' nutritionist can practice 'nutritional consulting' in Oregon?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-Carl Sagan

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:21 AM »
Hello

The State of Oregon does not have a 'Licensing' statute for people working nutritionally with clients. 

The State of Oregon does have a 'Certification' statute and reads:
"Limits use of particular titles to persons meeting predetermined requirements, while persons not certified can still practice the occupation or profession".

This means that you are not able to use the titles of Registered Dietitian, Dietitian, or Nutritionist in the State of Oregon.  You are able to work nutritionally with clients in the State of Oregon with titles such as Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant.

I am attaching the most current State Professional Regulations document and an Explanation document to this post.  You may also want to check out the following link to a thread in this forum where there has been discussion on this topic.

http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php/topic,5148.0.html

I would be happy to speak with any one who has additional questions.
Be Well,

Marsha McLaughlin
Admissions Supervisor
800-987-7530
admissions@baumancollege.org

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:18:36 AM by Marsha McLaughlin »

Offline GailG

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:06:42 AM »
Thank you Marsha,

You've provided some very clear and helpful information. It's interesting how 'job titles' is the issue, not the 'practice' of nutrition, in Oregon. And thank you for the web sites for further inquiry.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-Carl Sagan