Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Snacking on long distance drives  (Read 2433 times)

Offline NancyW

• Alumni
Snacking on long distance drives
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:38 PM »
Hi...Does anyone have any great ideas for nutritious snacking on long drives...not only do I seem to do a lot of long-distance driving (currently in the Chef program in Santa Cruz, living with a classmate during the week and driving home each weekend to the Paso Robles area)  but we always seem to be on the run going from one place to the next.  I'm looking for some new ideas I can make beforehand to take with me.  Any new ideas aside from the "standard" almonds, apple, string cheese?????  Thanks!!!

Offline VeronicaH

• Alumni
  • In health there is freedom.
Re: Snacking on long distance drives
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
5/21/09

Hi Nancy,

If you want to, try making your own trail mix with some dried fruit such as organic gogi berries and organic mulberries, as well as cashews, in addition to the almonds, and some cacao nibs, I think you will enjoy this. I make this mix whenever I go on long distance drives and I find it very satisfying and yummy. Happy munching.

:D Veronica
Vero Harrell

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »
Celery pre-stuffed with nut butter or hummus; baby carrots; leftovers from dinner, cut into bite-size, finger food pieces; Mary's Gone Crackers; Nut Brittle with Seeds (from the Recipe Exchange section)--unbelievably good (don't make too much; you'll eat it all); baked tofu. Can you tell I too do a lot of long distance driving? And here's my neurotic favorite, for the summer. I do I5 a lot and I sometimes get sleepy. If I have a bunch of grapes, I can go all day. I peel each one with my teeth and then eat it. Takes forever, but I stay awake. (Did I really just admit to this?)

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:18:38 PM »
I love to munch on sprouted sunflower sprouts when on a long drive.  Of course, it doesn't last for a multiple day trip, but for a long haul...yum!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline MicheleR

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:52:53 AM »
Hello Nancy,
     I recently discovered, Seas Gift, Roasted Seaweed Snack which is Korean Kim (Nori).
My teenage daughter and I love it as an alternative to chips and they are very satisfying.
I am new to sea vegetables (booster foods) and I was very happily surprised when I tried them. I buy them at Whole Foods or Oliver's market in Santa Rosa. They cost about a dollar per package (Oliver's cost 89 cents to Whole Foods 99 cents). Since the packages are small, they travel well. I try to leave extra packages in the car for "snack emergencies." I copied the following of the Internet for your information:
                              Product Features
                   All natural Korean seaweed snack
                   Roasted in sesame oil; Lightly salted with sea salt
                   Abundance of minerals & vitamins
                   Low calorie; No cholesterol; Healthy Snack
                   Wonderful nutty flavor

The only drawback here is that they do have a small amount of sesame oil that will require a  napkin, but it is worth it! Drive safely and have fun.

Michele R.
Santa Rosa

Offline KellyG

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
  Hello,

How about homemade popcorn sprayed with olive oil with parm cheese or some nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavor.  Or sprinkling cinnamon on popcorn also works well for snacking.

Popcorn is a whole grain and also 3 cups = about 100 calories.  So this one is great for those long boring drives.

Have fun!  Kelly

Offline ChandraM

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 12:45:13 AM »
Wow Nancy...you got so many cool ideas to try.  I like dried fruit and nuts as well--separate and mixed.  On that last trip the shoyu/tamari roasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds were a great hit (especially the pumpkin seeds).  We had hummus and homemade chips, made from basting tortilla pieces with olive oil and baking them at 375 for a few minutes.  I also really like toasted rice cakes with almond butter--messy but fast on the way out.  We also go through a lot of applies and seaweed snacks--usually the nori flavored sheets.  I always look forward to more ideas.  Thank you.
Chand

anything