Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Need recommendation for chef knife  (Read 2129 times)

Offline DeniseF

• Alumni
Need recommendation for chef knife
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
I'm in the market for a new chef knife. I know there's a few chefs out there with some really good suggestions.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Denise

Offline KatieR

• Alumni
Re: Need recommendation for chef knife
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »
Hi,
 I have a Michael Bras/Shun that I love! Basically a French chef and a Japanese knife maker got together to make a fabulous knife.
  I also like to work with Global knives because they are light and my hands don't get as fatigued with long prep/chopping sessions as they do with a heavier knife. (ie: Viking)
 Hope that helps a little.
PS: best bet though, go for a test drive!
Katie R.

Offline HallieK

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:43 AM »
I use Global knives as well, though I find that the blades don't hold their sharpness for very long despite frequent honing.  I take them about every 3 months to get sharpened by a professional.

My other suggestion would be Forschner (not sure about the spelling on that).  They are inexpensive but work wonderfully.  They are used in all of national culinary insitutes and many cooking schools across the country.  I have a friend who specializes in knives and kitchen gear and he says that these knives are the only ones he ever uses.  (I purchased my chef's knife, paring knife, boning knife, and carrying case for around $100 total...pretty good deal, huh?)

Hope that helps!

Offline DeniseF

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:16:27 PM »
This helps a lot!  Any idea where I would "test drive" a chef's knife?

Thank you,
Denise

Offline KatieR

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 05:35:29 PM »
Sur la Table is sometimes a god place to check out.
Katie R.

anything