Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Fluoride Was Never FDA Approved For Ingestion  (Read 3810 times)

Offline JamesE

Fluoride Was Never FDA Approved For Ingestion
« on: October 31, 2006, 08:35:06 AM »
Dear Folks,

'Because of a glitch in the law, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) never safety-tested fluoride for ingestion. Yet, the FDA recently OK'd cavity-preventing claims on fluoridated bottled water labels, giving Americans a false sense of security about the safety and effectiveness of drinking bottled water with fluoride added. Sodium fluoride was sold before FDA safety and effectiveness testing laws were enacted in 1938 and 1962, respectively. So fluoride was exempt from scrutiny, or "grandfathered in," without any FDA human or animal studies. "The premise was that all pre-1938 drugs were considered safe," according to FDA correspondence.'

Go here to read the article.

http://www.rense.com/general74/fflu.htm

Offline Oshyan Greene

• Director of Technology
  • Administrator
    • http://www.baumancollege.org/
Re: Fluoride Was Never FDA Approved For Ingestion
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 12:22:51 PM »
This is really disturbing, but I've always wondered about it. It never made sense to me as a *general* additive, in water no less. People get it in toothpaste, let that be enough. Is tooth decay such a national problem that flouride can be justified as a mandatory additive to municipal water? It seems pretty outrageous in that frame, especially given the fact that ingestion is not effective for what uses it *does* have.

Our entire water treatment process is questionable to me, really. Water is something so fundamental to our life functions and yet it seems like our approach to providing good water for everyone is very poorly standardized and poorly scrutinized.

With all the new research and increasing understanding of things today we must be especially careful of any such "grandfathered in" consumable ingredient or additive. Many things people have taken for granted for years are turning out to be hazardous, such as plastic water bottles.

There is clearly an ever-increasing health crisis in progress and I think a thorough reexamination of our entire food "ecosystem" is the only sensible way to ensure appopriate levels of standard safety and health. Obviously an examination of our relationship to our greater environment is a key component of that as well, but the state of our actual consumables themselves is appalling enough.

- Oshyan

anything