Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Camp friendly recipes?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
Camp friendly recipes?
« on: June 18, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
Hi all,

Summer is here and I'm ready for some camping! 

I love camping, but I'm thinking back on my diet during previous trips and...well that's why I'm writing....

I'm asking you all to share your favorite recipes/ideas for good healthy food that is car camping and/or backpacking friendly.  Something one could make with a back packing stove, water and the camp fire.  And for the car camping trips a cooler is available too.

Please and thank you!  ;D

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Camp friendly recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
Camping food:

Breakfast:
hard boiled eggs
cereal with fruit, protein powder and rice/almond milk

Lunch:
multi-grain cakes (or rice cakes)
savory:cheese, avocado, mustard, cucumber, tomato, etc
finish off with sweet: almond butter and jelly

Dinner:
saute veggies and mix with polenta cubes (cut up the precooked polenta in a tube from TJs) and move them over in the pan and heat up a tofu burger.  Serve with salad and fresh veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc).  Can also serve with beans.  Leftovers become the next days lunch.

Check out this grads website about backcountry cooking: www.backcountrykitchen.com
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:47:07 PM »
For backpacking, open a wholesale account (or a retail) with Frontier Foods Co-Op. They've got bulk organic foods: spinach powder; white cheddar cheese powder; eggs; instant lentils and black beans; dehydrated onions and other herbs and spices.

We do a lot of bicycle touring through remote areas, and we've done our fair share of backpacking and mountaineering, and these are the best lightweight food solutions I've found.

You can also easily make your own dehydrated greens powders. Just thoroughly dehydrate any leafy green and grind it finely. Keeps a long time.

Offline SamanthaB

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:04:23 PM »
A grill or a portable burner is your best friend while culinary camping!

If you're able to bring a portable burner poaching or frying eggs while grilling bread (whole grain) with some cheese, sprouts, avocado, and baby spinach is a quick and easy for breakfast.
Grilling up zuchinni, yellow squash, asparagus. Rub em down with garlic, cilantro or parsely, salt, pepper, and olive oil or butter. delish. simple.

Tacos are a great choice too. bring some salsa, grill some chicken. seasoned with salt, cumin, and paprika. dice and serve with whatever veggies you grilled the night before.

Nuts and seeds make your perfect snacks. Macadamia, almonds, walnuts, with some dried fruit and toasted coconut flakes keep everyone happy. Make sure to have some water with you.
I know we're going for eating for health but.. you're not camping until you've made smores.

have fun!

Offline SamanthaB

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:06:01 PM »
oh and kabobs are awesome if you're cooking over the camp fire.

Offline JessaJ

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
 :)Make Pancake mix and bring it in a tupperware container if you're bringing a griddle.
They are a great vehicle for nuts, or even banana fritters. Easy to pack in a cooler and really easy to preprare camping. You can use any pancake recipe you like but heres mine.

Nutty Banana Fritters by Jessa Jabula
Preparation time 2 hrs       Makes 27 small fritters; serving size 6 fritters
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp ground flax seed
2 eggs
1/4th cup crushed walnuts
1 1/3rd cups coconut milk
Pinch of nutmeg
tsp vanilla extract
4 bananas sliced longwise and in thirds
2 tsp coco butter or butter

Directions
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the following to make the batter. Stir until smooth
1 cup whole wheat flour and refrigerate for 2 hrs
2 eggs
1/4th cup crushed walnuts
1 1/3rd cups coconut milk
1 pinch of nutmeg
tsp vanilla extract
2) Slice the peeled bananas longwise in 3 slices. Then slice the long slices in half or thirds depending how big you want the fritters. Then add them to the batter
3) Heat a large frying pan on medium high and add coco butter or butter
4) Using a ladle or large wooden spoon, place the battered bananas in the frying pan
5) Fry the banana fritters on one side until brown, then flip

Fruit Salad
Preparation time 45 minutes      Serves 9-12 people; serving size 1.5 cup
Ingredients
   Dressing
2 large limes
tbsp nutmeg
tsp cinnamon
tsp powdered ginger
A pinch of salt
cup of agave nectar
1 tsp of maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
cup walnuts crumbled
cup coconut shavings
10 mint leaves

Fruit-
2 of each of the following apples, mangoes, again pears, avocados,
cup dried cranberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup champagne grapes

Directions
1)   First, mix the syrup by combining lime, spices with a small wire whisk.
2)   Chop the fruit and combine with greeted coconut in a separate bowl
3)   Combine and toss the salad

Serve over the banana fritters.

Offline KathleenJ

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »
Easy Chickpea Salad

I am not sure if your camping will send you into the backwoods or not, but if you can bring along a can of chickpeas (drain) , a small red onion (thinly slice) and a little olive oil (1 TB) , vinegar (2 TB), salt and pepper with a touch of oregano you wont be disappointed... 
 :D