Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Heirloom Cucumber Salad  (Read 1184 times)

Offline LisaJ

• Alumni
Heirloom Cucumber Salad
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »
I presented this family recipe in class and thought I'd share with everyone since it's such a great summertime treat.  I make it at least an hour in advance of eating so that the flavors can meld in the fridge.  Since I am the 3rd generation (that my Mom knows of) to make this, I consider it truly an heirloom dish and I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends have!

Heirloom Cucumber Salad

Lisa Johnson,  johnson.lisa@ymail.com                     

5-10 pickling cucumbers
1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, cut into long slices
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup green beans, blanched
1 clove garlic, chopped
onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
⅓ cup red wine or apple cider vinegar, or to taste
Black pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, onion and pepper.  Mix well.  Slice cucumbers into thin pieces over oil mixture using a mandolin vegetable slicer or slicing blade of a cheese grater.  Add remaining vegetables, toss and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving. 

Balanced to Cleansing diet direction (depending on amount of oil used).
Per Serving: 123 calories, 5 fat, 18.5 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g protein, 3 g fiber.

Cucumbers are rich in vitamins C and A, folic acid, potassium and magnesium, and silica which keeps connective tissue strong.  They help treat swelling and sunburn and contain ascorbic acid and caffeic acid which prevent water retention.  The skins are rich in fiber.
Bell Peppers are extremely nutrient dense and a good source of vitamins C, K and B6, beta-carotene, thiamine, folic acid, capsaicin, and lycopene which protects against heart disease and cancer.  They are rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals.  Red bell peppers contain significantly higher levels of nutrients.
Green Beans are rich in protein, complex carbohydrate and fiber.  They are also a good source of vitamin B6, folic acid, phosphorus, iron, protein, magnesium, manganese and potassium.  They protect the heart, lower cholesterol, protect against breast cancer and their high fiber content stabilizes blood sugar levels.
Cherry Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins C, K and B6, contain lycopene, biotin, niacin, folic acid and dietary fiber.  The lycopene in tomatoes has shown to be protective against breast, colon, lunch, skin and prostate cancers, and can lower the risk of cataracts, macular degeneration and heart disease.  Lycopene is excellent at neutralizing free radicals.
Garlic contains high levels of vitamin B6, and is a good source of manganese, selenium and vitamin C.  It is also a good source of the minerals phosphorus, calcium, potassium, iron, and copper.  Garlic appears to be protective against atherosclerosis, heart disease, can reduce total serum cholesterol levels while increasing HDL cholesterol, can lower blood pressure and has a long history of being used to fight infection.  The allicin in garlic has shown to be effective at fighting colds, flu, stomach viruses, Candida yeast, tuberculosis and botulism.

References
Murry, Michael. The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods. New York. Atria Books. 2005

anything