Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Online Food, Herb, and Nutrient Databases  (Read 16331 times)

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Online Food, Herb, and Nutrient Databases
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
From Mike Adams, the Health Ranger

Forbidden knowledge, natural medicines and the power of information...

Dear readers,

Ever wonder which foods, herbs or nutrients would be most helpful for your particular health challenges? Now you can find the answers, instantly!

Over the last several months, we've been quietly working on a "secret" project to build the internet's most useful database of healing foods, herbs and nutrients. This project is now open to the public, and you can start using it right now.

Healing foods reference
http://www.HealingFoodReference.com

You'll find the herbs at:
http://www.HerbReference.com

And the nutrients at:
http://www.NutrientReference.com

Each of these sites allows you to explore natural medicines that are known to be helpful for various diseases and health conditions. You'll learn, for example, that green tea helps prevent breast cancer, or that Vitamin D is important for reversing osteoporosis. Over a hundred health conditions are covered in detail, plus hundreds more entries on individual foods, herbs and nutrients.

Currently, the research presented on these sites is based on 14 books and natural medicine encyclopedias. We're working on expanding that to 25 books to cover even more diseases and natural medicines, so be sure to check back from time to time and watch our online reference sites grow! In particular, we'll be expanding the herbal site to include rainforest herbs, Chinese medicine herbs and more Western herbs as well.

UPDATE 8/20/09
Yet another resource from the Health Ranger, combines some of the above, but looks a bit different as well:
NaturalPedia includes hundreds of thousands of quotations from 570 books, covering over 53,000 keyword concepts. Even more interestingly, it has calculated more than 23 million keyword correlations, then used advanced linguistic analysis logic to pair keywords in meaningful ways (such as a disease and an herb), allowing you to drill down and find the nutrients, herbs and substances that can help prevent or reverse almost any disease or health condition known to modern medicine.
http://www.healingfoodreference.com/

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:30:26 AM by Marlina E »
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
Re: Online Food, Herb, and Nutrient Databases
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:07:36 AM »
Wow, this looks SO useful!!! :D

Thanks for telling us about it!

Offline JulieJ

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
Thanks for bringing this concise reference guide to the forum and making it available. It's great to have a quick reference for food, herbs, nutrients and supplements quickly available. Also look forward to having it grow with continued input.

Offline LisaAv

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
Wow!!! I am very excited about these websites!  I work at an integrative pharmacy and these websites will come in very handy to guide our customers and to educate myself.  There have been a few times when customers will stump me with questions.  Hopefully, this will be a great source of education!  Thank you so much for the website references!

Lisa

Offline AnnaL

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »
This is awesome!  Thank you for sharing this info on these web sites.

Warm regards,
Missy Leathers

Offline AleeceK

• Alumni
    • FoodWired
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
It's easy to get side tracked! Lots of quick, helpful info - thanks for the links!
Are you FoodWired?
Take the Pledge. Choose Good Food.
http://www.foodwired.com

Offline ArikaS

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
Wow, I am really excited about these outlet! Thank You so much!! This will be very helpful for myself as well as future clients. Many Blessings!!

Offline CherylS

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
Hi....I really like this site.  Very useful & good...thank you.  What I'd like to know is whether there's a place to find contraindications to herbs.  I looked around a bit on this site but can't find, yet.  Perhaps someone can help?  Thank you!  Cheryl  email: csarkisian@fhallen.com

Offline debbieh823

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »
Wow Marlina, what a great website for information on hebs.  I have starred it as one of my "Favorites".  Thanks for the reference.

Debbieh

adrienneh186

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »
Hey there! Does anyone know where to buy whole spices in the East Bay? I am specifically in the Pleasant Hill area

Offline elainlam

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »
thanks for sharing the amazing info. I have a question , when I click on Eczema, I see omega 6 fatty acids under Healing nutrients and phytochemicals

isn't omega 6 fatty acids pro inflammatory and omega 3 fatty acids anti inflammatory? strangely I didn't see omega 3fatty acids there just wondering why

Offline ErinL

• Faculty
    • Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
If you research eczema further you'll find that a particular Omega-6 fatty acid, GLA or gamma-linolenic acid, has been helpful in resolving some of the symptoms of eczema and a deficiency of this fat may play a role in causing eczema, along with other possible causes such as food sensitivities and other nutrient deficiencies.

Not all O6 fats have the same properties. While linoleic acid (LA) promotes inflammation, GLA may actually reduce inflammation. When taken as a supplement, GLA is converted into DGLA in the presence of adequate co-factors (Mg, zinc, vitamins C, B3 and B6), which fights inflammation. Our body can produce GLA by converting it from LA, but those with eczema may have a deficiency or need more this fatty acid than they can produce.

Topical creams containing GLA from Evening Primrose Oil have also been found to help eczema symptoms in some people.
Erin Livers, Nutrition Therapist
Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
BC Faculty/Distance Learning Faculty, Boulder, CO (past)

Offline elainlam

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 03:00:57 AM »
thank you Erin :)

Offline amandac583

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 03:05:41 PM »
So grateful for this concise resource- I was able to introduce a friend recently diagnosed with MS and she loved the clarity of information. Thank you!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »
Thanks so much for your forum post!  The Bauman College forum has been around for so many years and is a literal wealth of information. It makes me so happy that this resource, posted years ago is still valuable and useful.   I am so proud of the resources found here for both the public and students/alumni.  Students/alumni have much deeper access to a wealth of knowledge. Use that search bar and discover pearls.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

anything