Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Holistic Hints for Healthy Diet Staples: Thanks to Ed Bauman....  (Read 14621 times)

Offline Marketing Manager

• Bauman College Marketing Manager
  • Staff
Everyone wants diet tips. Certain foods are healthier than others, and then there are calories to consider, as well as fiber, vitamins, fat content, and so on. Many complicated factors later, it’s hard to remember why some foods are better than others and what health benefits or dangers each choice contains. That is why one concise list is easy—twelve items to review and keep on hand as it suits one’s needs.

Thanks to Edward Bauman, M.Ed., Ph.D., of Bauman College....

Click here to read rest of Article on Health News
http://www.healthnews.com/nutrition-diet/healthnews-dozen-holistic-hints-healthy-diet-staples-2776.html

Offline JulieJ

• Alumni
Re: Holistic Hints for Healthy Diet Staples: Thanks to Ed Bauman....
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
Keep it simple: Thank you Ed. After spending 3 hours on a previous posting trying to decifer how a study determines that  organic foods provide no more nutrient benefit than non organic,
it is refreshing to find some simple basic truths, even though on another playing field. Now, in addition to a pantry list, I have a refrigerator list ( mostly) that's easily attainable.

Offline AnnaL

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:25:39 AM »
Perfect! And all of the foods are delicious too.  Thanks for simplifying this.

Bon Appetit,
Missy Leathers
Warm regards,
Missy Leathers

Offline shannon

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:26:36 AM »
does this expire? I tried to read it a few times now and it keeps comming up that its not available

Offline Gayla

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
I have tried several times to access the link. It comes up web page cannot be displayed. Do you know if the link is correct?

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
Strange, it worked for me....here is is cut and pasted:

Nutrition & Diet
HealthNews Dozen: Holistic Hints for Healthy Diet Staples
By: Jennifer Newell
Published: Monday, 16 March 2009

1. Avocados
   2. Beets
   3. Blueberries
   4. Cabbages, including broccoli & bok choy
   5. Carrots
   6. Celery
   7. Cranberries
   8. Flax seed
   9. Fish, including fish oils
  10. Garlic
  11. Mushroom, especially maitake & shiitake
  12. Seaweed

Everyone wants diet tips. Certain foods are healthier than others, and then there are calories to consider, as well as fiber, vitamins, fat content, and so on. Many complicated factors later, it’s hard to remember why some foods are better than others and what health benefits or dangers each choice contains. That is why one concise list is easy—twelve items to review and keep on hand as it suits one’s needs.

Thanks to Edward Bauman, M.Ed., Ph.D., of Bauman College, that simple list has been released as part of an effort to distribute holistic nutrition information for the masses. Relying on the basics of healthy foods, the list of foods was compiled with overall health and extended living in mind. Bauman College has the simple goal of providing nutritional education and perpetuating the natural culinary arts with a heavy concentration on the fundamentals of food and the healing benefits of various food items.

It should be noted that the items in the top-twelve list are in alphabetical order only, not in order of health importance.

To look at the list in more detail will give some explanation of the particular benefits of each item. Many have medical benefits, such as the avocado reducing the risk of heart attack, as is the case with fish and fish oils, carrots, flax seed, and garlic. Cancer-fighting elements can be found in cabbage products, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, flax seed, celery, fish, and seaweed.

Some of the food items have very particular functions, such as blueberries and their positive effect on pancreatic health, celery and its ability to ease water retention, or carrots and their ability to prevent degenerative eye diseases. Many offer assistance to the immune system, such as cabbages, carrots, and garlic. Some also boost healthy cholesterol levels as well, including flax seed, garlic, mushrooms, fish, and seaweed. And flax seed has been found to affect moods in a positive way, aiding those who have depression issues.

Dr. Bauman also added several herbs and spices that have been found to provide health benefits. Fenugreek seed has become more popular in recent years due to its use as a staple in other parts of the world for its anti-diabetic qualities, as well as its assistance in preventing intestinal gas and high blood pressure. Parsley is the most common and most healthy herb, as it is rich in several nutrients and helps water retention, blood flow, brain activity, and bowel health. It is also said to have anti-cancerous properties. Turmeric is a spice that should be a staple in any health diet because of its anti-inflammatory qualities, which can aid in the treatment of arthritis, and its positive influence on cholesterol levels, stomach acid reduction, blood sugar regulation in diabetic patients, and liver protection.

Ginger is more commonly found in supermarkets and helps stimulate digestion and healthy intestinal muscles. In addition to being a heart-healthy herb, its anti-inflammatory properties often aid with symptoms of arthritis.

All in all, the foods promoted by the holistic community should be worked into any healthy dietary regimen. And when they can be purchased as organic products, it only increases their health benefits.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline debbieh823

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:29:43 PM »
I'm going to put this list on my refrigerater next to my "Eating for Health" poster.  Thanks for simplifying it Marlina.

Debbie Heinze

aizal473

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:47:17 AM »
What a great list, all delicious foods!
I recently got some beet seeds, but i decided to try growing the golden beets this time.
Do the golden beets have the same nutritious benefit or does the dark color of the red beets make them much better?

Offline Michael W

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
Just wanted to note that the link is no longer working. Thanks for posting the content of the webpage above Marlina.

Offline paulaalexander

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 12:20:11 AM »
I'd love to see this article re-posted!  The link isn't working!  Thanks! 
Health is my greatest wealth!

anything