Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Any good Yam or Sweet Potato recipes out there?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Any good Yam or Sweet Potato recipes out there?
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:59:37 PM »
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone out there has a special yam or sweet potato recipe for the holidays? 
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Harrington

• Alumni
Re: Any good Yam or Sweet Potato recipes out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:16:29 AM »
I can never bring myself to get too fancy.  I can't get enough of roasted sweet potatoes with rosemary.  But I am a rosemary addict.  I use a little olive oil and braggs in the mix. 

If you are looking for something different.  When I was in Africa, there was a traditional dish that I forget the name of at the moment.  You cut the sweet potaotes in chunks about the size of golf balls?  You boil them with a little salt.  When they are just about done, drain most of the water out leaving about an inch.  Then add ground nut flour and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes.  Traditionally, they use peanut flour.  I know a lot of people can not eat peanuts but I have not tried this recipe with an other nuts.  I did try substituting peanut butter once but it just does not work the same as peanut flour. 

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 11:24:08 AM »
Too late for the holidaze..but my fav is: baked yams in the food processor, skins and all, blended with a bit of (rice, almond, soy) milk and cinnamon, and clove. Serve as mashed yams, hot and yummy or spread on mochi waffles for a great snack!

Offline Susan M.

• Faculty
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
This is also a little late for the holiday, but a good standby recipe. Bake garnet yams wrapped in foil until they are carmelized and syrupy (this can take several hours if they're large and you have several of them). Let them cool enough to be able to handle them. Peel them, place in a large bowl with a little butter and a small amount of freshly squeezed orange juice. Mash them with a potato masher and garnish with some orange peel. They're sweet and comforting, but not cloying like some sweet potato recipes. Good luck and bon apetit!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 09:50:41 AM by Marlina E »

Offline Harrington

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »
Cathy,

i was just wondering what a mochi waffle is?

Colleen

Offline Catherine McConkie

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:08:27 PM »
Colleen,
We make mochi waffles in the breakfast and beverages class and serve them with a roasted sweet potato mousse. Basically you cut up mochi (Sweet rice pounded and shaped into a compressed cake) into small squares and put them in the waffle iron. They get puffy,chewy, and crisp and have waffle dents just perfect for holding the topping. :)
Catherine
Berkeley Culinary

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:24:08 PM »
Here is a good recipe for those gourmet types!

Yam Gnocchi

Servings = 2 | Serving size =10 gnocchi

This recipe can be multiplied by 2.

Leftovers are fair at best. I have kept the gnocchi refrigerated overnight but they are not as good as when fresh. Try this dish covered in 'Super pesto', found on this blog under "I can't believe its not pesto!"

10 ounces    yams (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
6 Tbsp    whole wheat flour (or suitible flour subsitute)
1 large    egg
1/4 tsp    salt
1/8 tsp    ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp    ground black pepper
4 quarts    water

Place a steamer basket in a large sauce pan. Add about 1 1/2 cups water and set the pan over high heat. Steam the cubed yams until very tender (about 20 minutes). Remove the steamer basket and allow the yams to cool until they are no more than warm to the touch.

Force all of the steamed yams through a potato ricer into a large mixing bowl. (If you donít have a potato ricer, the yams must be chopped until there are no lumps. Do not over mash them or the gnocchi will be pasty.)

Add 3 tablespoons of the whole wheat flour to the yams with the egg, salt, nutmeg and black pepper. Mix together using a fork. The mixture will take on a crumbly consistency. Add the 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour and blend well.

Knead the dough gently until all the flour is blended in. Stop kneading when the flour is incorporated.

After the dough is smooth, cut it into 2 equal pieces. Place one tablespoon of all purpose flour on a cutting board and roll each piece of dough into a rope about as big around as your thumb.

Cut the ropes in 1/2 inch pieces (about ten per roll), and then roll the dumpling over the tines of a fork to shape the ridges of the gnocchi.

Boil at least 4 quarts of water and add the gnocchi no more than 2 servings at a time (20 gnocchi).

As they float to the top of the water, they are done. Remove them and add to prepared sauce.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 10 gnocchi | Servings 2
Calories 288 | Calories from Fat 27
Amount Per Serving (% Daily Value)
Total Fat 3g (5%) | Saturated Fat 1g (5%)
Monounsaturated Fat 1g | Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 106 mg (35 %) | Sodium 339 mg (14 %)
Total Carbohydrates 58g (19%) | Sugars 1g
Dietary Fiber 7g (29%) | Protein 8g
Vitamin A 6% | Vitamin C 41 % | Calcium 4% | Iron 13%
Vitamin K 4 mcg  | Potassium  1245 mg | Magnesium  47 mg
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline StacyP

• Alumni
My favorite Yam Recipe
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 10:03:02 PM »
My favorite  Yam recipe comes from "The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook" by Jeanne Martin. It is called Orange Yam Pie with Cruncy Crust.
Crust:
1/2 cup ground raw sunflower seeds,1/2 cup ground raw almonds,1/2 cup amaranth, 1/2 cup arrowroot powder, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp sea salt, 3 tbsp natural oil, 1 1/2 tbsp apple juice. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly. Mix the oil and juice together and slowly add them to the dry ingredients with a fork until moist, crumbly mixture is formed. Press the mixture into an oiled 9 inch glass pie plate to get about 1/4 inch layer on the sides and bottom of the pan. Reserve 1 -2 tablespoons of the crust mixture for the top of the pie. Do not cover the top flat edge of the pie plate with the crust. Bake the crust for 4 to 5 minutes and remove immediately to cool.

Filling:5 1/2 to 6 cups chopped orange yams, peeled or unpeeled, 1/2 inch chunks, 2-3 tsp natural oil, 1 large onion, finely chopped,2 garlic cloves, minced, 1 tbsp butter and 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1 tbsp milk powder or soy milk powder or tapioca flour, 1 tbsp arrowroot powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Few dashes each allspice, nutmeg and ground cloves. Optional: 1 tbsp powdered egg replacer or 1 well beaten large egg for firmer pie.
Preheat oven to 350. Steam yams until very tender. In a skillet, heat oil on high heat and saute the onion and garlic until tender. Mash yams until smooth and mix them with the onion mixture and all remaining ingredients. Place the yam mixture in the cooled pie crust and smooth the top with a knife or rubber spatula. Sprinkle with reserved crust mixture. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until firm and browned. Cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing and serving with a pie server.