Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: looking for recipes for baby nutrition bars  (Read 1550 times)

Offline AnushkaB

looking for recipes for baby nutrition bars
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:09:34 PM »
Hi!

As of a couple days, now, my 11 month old son insists on feeding himself exclusively.  He wants to do it all on his own. That means no spoon feeding and no putting food in his mouth unless he does it himself. He can eat soft fruits and steamed veggies and legumes but I want to include fat and other proteins.  He is not eating dairy or other animal protein at the moment. We are still happily nursing, so he is getting quality nutrients from me. He loves hummus but with less solid foods, it's hit or mostly miss as far as him getting it in his mouth.  He also likes smoothies but I do want him to practice his eating skills aside from drinking from his cup.  For fun and not super messy snacks on the go and at home, I was thinking about making baby nutrition bars with fruits or veggies combined with tahini and or coconut butter etc so that they are solid  enough for him to grasp in his hand but soft enough so he can gum them (he does have 4 teeth on top and 2 on the bottom).  I was wondering if anybody has experimented with any baby bar (or something similar) recipes that have a good flavor, texture and soft/solid consistency?  Any other suggestions are also welcome. 

Thanks!
Anushka

Offline Jackie Chatman

• Alumni
    • Eating for Wellness Nutrition and Fitness
Re: looking for recipes for baby nutrition bars
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:13:37 AM »
What a great idea....I have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old niece that I would love to make healthy snacks for...my brother and SIL are not as food conscious as I am with their snacks. Yesterday my SIL gave my 3 yr old niece marshmallows as her after school snack!!!  I was shocked but couldn't say anything...

anything