Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: hyperthyroidism in pregnancy  (Read 1720 times)

Offline JaquiG

• Alumni
hyperthyroidism in pregnancy
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »
so much info on hypo thyroid and nothing  on pregnancy and hyper.. graves disease. Daughter in law is 15 weeks,she was told  she should take a drug that passes through the placenta and that the drug could harm the fetus and cause cretinism. If there is any knowledge out here for an alternative,I will be for ever in your debt.
JAQUIG

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: hyperthyroidism in pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
The forums at www.realthyroidhelp.com have a section on hyperthyroid. I suggest you and your daughter-in-law check it out for information on the condition and on testing.

One thing that I've learned is that Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which eventually causes HYPOthyroidism, often starts as HYPER because the thyroid gland is being destroyed and is dumping excess hormone into the bloodstream. This all too frequently gets diagnosed as Grave's Disease. So the first thing to sort out is whether this is actually Grave's Disease, and it often takes a more holistic doc rather than a mainstream endocrinologist. If she hasn't already had all of the possible antibodies tested, then that's where to start. Pregnancy is complicated because of the changes in immune function geared towards not rejecting the fetus as a foreign entity, so medical expertise is important.

With any drug, keep in mind that it will affect the baby in two ways:
  1) By passing through the placenta, as you mentioned.
  2) By affecting mom's liver, kidney, nutrient status directly, thereby affecting the baby.

She (and/or you) will need to do some serious searching to decide if the benefits of the drug outweigh its risks.

Let me also suggest you look at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com  This site, like most of them (as you've already noticed) are primarily geared towards hypothyroidism. That's simply because there's way more of that in the world, and as I mentioned above, a fair portion of the hyper variety is hypo waiting to happen.

I have a book here entitled, The Women's Guide to Thyroid Health by Kathryn R. Simpson, M.S. In her words:

"The classic clinical picture of pregnancy-related thyroid dysfunction is for a woman to have symptoms of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy, followed by hypothyroidism after the birth, and then a return to normal thyroid function within a year. This chain of events can cause a predisposition for the woman to develop permanent hypothyroidism later in life."

Please keep us posted, but please post in the Nutrition Talk area, rather than in News and Research. We'll all see it sooner if you do. Thanks.

anything