Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Flourless Almond Cookies  (Read 9479 times)

Offline LisaV

• Alumni
Flourless Almond Cookies
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:12 AM »
Hi everyone,
here is a great cookie recipe - and it is so simple.  They are even good raw. 

2 cups ground almonds
cup light agave nectar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
tsp nutmeg

Just combine ingredients, roll into 2inch balls and press down with fork tines.
Bake in a 300 oven for 10-12 minutes.
Or enjoy them raw!

Does anyone have any other gluten free cookie recipes?

Thanks!!

Offline SusanSt

• Alumni
Re: Flourless Almond Cookies
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:52:40 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Walnut Maple Cookies

2 1/2 C walnuts, ground in food processor
2/3 C gluten-free flour
1 tsp  salt
1/3 C flax meal
1/3 C raisens, dark, chocolate chips or carob chips ( I prefer raisens)
2/3 C Agave Nectar
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat over to 350F.  Drop dough on cookie sheet with spoon and flatten with a fork.  Bake  15 to 20 minutes until golden brow.  Let cool before removing from sheet. :D

Susan
Scotts Valley, California

Offline AlainaE

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
Here's a yummy gluten free cinnamon roll recipe!!
You can eat them raw or I prefer to warm them a little in the oven.
This is a good way to use your left over almond pulp if you like making almond milk.

http://goneraw.com/recipe/cinnamon-rolls

Ingredients:
1 cup almond meal
1 cup ground flaxseed
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 pinch sea salt
1 cup soft pitted dates
cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
.125 cup olive oil
.125 cup agave nectar
cup raisins, plus a little extra
cup chopped nuts

Preparation:
Combine the almond meal, ground flaxseed, dash of cayenne pepper, 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon and pinch sea salt in a bowl and set aside.

In a food processor or blender, process dates, water and vanilla into a paste. Remove half of the date paste and add it to the dry ingredients, along with the olive oil and agave. Mix these ingredients with your hands until it forms a dough. You may need to add a little water and/or agave if it is too dry, but be careful not to add too much.

Spread the dough out on a piece of parchment paper, and flatten/shape it into a 1/4-inch thick square.

Add 1/4 cup raisins and 1 Tbsp. of cinnamon to the rest of the date paste left in your food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Then, spread a thin layer of the paste onto the dough square, making sure to cover the whole surface, and top with a sprinkle of extra raisins and the chopped walnuts.

Using the parchment paper to help hold everything together, carefully/tightly roll the square into a log. Chill in the refrigerator, and then slice into about 1-inch thick rounds.

You can either eat them out of the refrigerator, warm them in a dehydrator, or I like to warm them in the oven. I usually just warm a little maple syrup and drizzle it on top because i don't like things too sweet. You can also make a icing of raw almond butter mixed with agave, vanilla and sea salt.       yummyness :o

Offline LisaV

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
Wow both of those recipes sound delicious!! Thank-you both!  The cinnamon roll idea is brilliant, I can't wait to try it out.

Offline StaceyO

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
On the savory side of things, here's my recipe for savory shortbread. These are great to use as a base for canapes - or eat 'em plain!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup almond flour
1 cup white rice flour
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tbsp agave nectar

Directions

Preheat oven for 350.

In a large bowl combine flours, parmesan, thyme, salt, pepper and baking soda. In a small bowl combine butter and agave nectar. Pour wet ingredients into four mixture. Mix thoroughly until dough forms. With floured hands, form dough into a 5-inch round. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a biscuit cutter 2-inches in diameter, carefully cut out rounds and place on a large, rimmed sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake 7 to 10 minutes until golden. Allow to cool completely.

Offline BonnieP

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:47:06 AM »
I have recipes for snickerdoodles and oatmeal
cookies, but don't have access right now to
to those files. If you send an email to me at
Bonnie@thesensitivediner.com and I will be happy
to send the recipes next week.
Bonnie

Offline PatriceK

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
Here's a recipe for No-Bake Sesame Dream Squares:

Ingredients:
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup nonfat dry milk (could use nonfat dry goat's milk)
3/4 cup raw hulled sesame seeds
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup coconut flakes or shredded coconut

Optional:  Add chocolate chips, substitute dried cranberries or currants for raisins

Directions:  Mix together all ingredients.  Butter or lightly oil an 8-inch square pan.  Press mixture evenly into pan.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours.  Cut into 1-inch squares.  Makes 64 squares.  (Recipe from the Community Mercantile, Lawrence, Kansas)
Patrice

Offline SimoneS

• Alumni
    • Zenbelly
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
Alton Brown's GF chocolate chip cookies...

These are classic chocolate chip cookies: butter, sugar, eggs... No fancy healthy ingredients.  However, if you want to make GF cookies that result in people exclaiming, in disbelief; "THESE are gluten free???"  These are the cookies for you! 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-gluten-free-recipe/index.html

Offline Elizabeth

• Alumni
    • www.eatlivelocally.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »
All these recipes sound so great! I have to try at least one this weekend.

For the recipes that have nuts which are being ground - should the nuts be soaked and dried first?

Cheers!
Elizabeth
Natural Chef, 2011
Nutrition Consultant, 2015

Offline nancyv035

• BioBliss4U
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I really do enjoy the simplicity of your recipe.  I would like to make a few comments ~ 
Life is sublime!

Offline nancyv035

• BioBliss4U
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
Hi Lisa,

Sorry for the incomplete posting!  Anyway, here are the comments I had wanted to make:  1.  I would consider using something beside agave such as Jerusalem artichoke syrup (good for regulating blood sugar) or coconut syrup and 2) I would definitely soak almonds as their coating is particularly tough and hard to digest ~ archeologists have found almonds in Egyptian tombs that were intact after 3,000 years! Then I'd dehydrate them in a sunny window on a mesh cooling rack or in a dehydrator at less than 105 degrees overnight. 

It would be a lot of fun to experiment with pecans, walnuts, or other nuts to see how they alter or hopefully create a flavor sensation.  I do appreciate your recipe as it provides a great foundation for play!
Life is sublime!

Offline JessicaSt

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »
Here is another Gluten-free cookie recipe that looks really good!  Thanks for sharing your recipes.

www.livingwithout.com

Egg-Free Soft Batch Cookies:

cup gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend
cup sifted coconut flour
1 cup very finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
2 teaspoons cinnamon or pie spice
teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries or chocolate chips, optional
cup extra-virgin coconut oil, palm shortening or butter, room temperature
⅔ cup honey or agave nectar
cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a large baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.

2. Lightly spoon each flour into a measuring cup and level the top with a knife. Place flours, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, guar gum, cinnamon and salt in a bowl, whisking to combine.

3. In a separate bowl, combine raisins, coconut oil, honey and applesauce, beating until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix only enough to combine.

4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten cookies into circles with damp fingers, allowing -inch space between cookies. They will not spread. For larger cookies, shape dough into portions of about 3 tablespoons each, then flatten.

5. Bake cookies on middle rack of preheated oven until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. (For larger cookies, bake about 18 minutes.) Halfway through baking, rotate pan in the oven.

6. Cool cookies slightly. Then transfer to a rack to cool. Store cookies for up to a week in a covered bowl or tin, separating each layer with parchment paper. Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.

Enjoy! Yum.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:23:57 AM by JessicaSt »

anything