Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Garland's Granola  (Read 3203 times)

Offline LindsayU

Garland's Granola
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »
Every year as a child my parents took me to a place in Sedona Arizona called Garland's Lodge where they made the best granola I had ever tasted!  I just found the recipe recently and have been making it about every three days to eat and share, and it is a big hit!  I reduced the amount and added some nuts and extra cinnamon.  I hope you enjoy it!

Garland's Granola Recipe:

4 cups of oats
1 1/2 cup of chopped nuts n seeds (I used walnuts, almonds, pecans and sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup of coconut oil OR butter OR canola oil
1/3 cup of peanut and or almond butter
1/4 cup of honey or agave
1/4 cup of maple syrup
2 tsps of cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp of nutmeg
1-2 tsp of vanilla

Pre-heat the oven to 300.  Place the oats in two baking trays and toast for about 20-30 mins rotating and stiring occasionally to evenly brown.  Add the nuts and seeds and toast for another 15-20 minutes, rotating often until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and set aside.  In a large sauce pan, heat the oil, peanut butter, honey and syrup until smooth.  Turn of heat and stir in the vanilla and spices.  Add the oats and nuts and combine to coat, well.  Place back on the baking trays and return to the oven for another 20 minutes or so, rotating to cook evenly.  Let cool, then break into chunks.  Store in an airtight container.

ENJOY!

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
Re: Garland's Granola
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »
This looks very similar to my muesli recipe.  The funny thing is that I always made granola but switched to muesli when I decided that I no longer wanted so much sugar in it.  I'm looking at this and wondering if the addition of almond butter might help make it crunchy again, I'll have to try it.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline CherylM

• Alumni
Re: Garland's Granola
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
This is great!!! I am married into this family and they are as awesome as their granola.
They also have a wonderful cookbook out entitled Sharing the Table at Garlands Lodge, chock full of terrific recipes. Small world!

anything