Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Nanotechnology & Our Food  (Read 1682 times)

Offline MichelleCl

• Alumni
Nanotechnology & Our Food
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
Hi All,

I just wanted to pass on a very scary article I just read in the publication Food Processing (September 2009) called Nanotechnology Coming to Your Store. (http://www.foodprocessing.com/articles/2009/066.html)

I find that this article has so many points that need addressing but that I can't quite express my feeling about all of them here and now.  I did want to bring the article to your attention because I think that introducing nanotechnology into our food supply and packaging of food is a new way to threaten our food supply.  Not to mention the fact that we as consumers my never know which products have been modified. 

This article makes me so thankful for being connected to Bauman College and that we are doing what we can to better our lives and the lives of our friends, family, colleagues and clients. 

I would love to hear your thoughts. 

~Michelle
Michelle Cleland

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Nanotechnology & Our Food
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
Oh wow...thats quite disturbing.

I'm baffled by industries' desire to continue to produce innovative new products with little regard for the potential negative effects on the ecology of the systems they are supposedly attempting to improve.

I think this is will prove to be another example of the cure being worse than the disease. We continue to see this trend in developed and developing nations; in our rush to solve major industrial and social inefficiencies and inconveniences we are causing a whole new set of negative repercussions to our health, environment and society which make life even more troublesome, when we were originally trying to improve it.  This is especially prevalent in Allopathic Medical treatments. (see this article http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi90.html)

The lesson here...question the need to improve upon a good design...(ie you can avoid much pain and misery by just keeping things simple even if its hard...{ie cook your own whole foods!})

I love how often there is no end to the variety of health and life concerns that are brought up in this country that can be easily answered by three words (yet so hard to do)...EAT WHOLE FOODS.

So I'll be perfectly content to spend the time to prepare my own grains, and pay good money for ugly cuts of meat and dirty eggs in order to be free of concern about the Genic/Bio/Nano/mechanical-engineering of food like substances...

But I'm not bitter...
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline Irene Breck

• Alumni
Re: Nanotechnology & Our Food
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »
Yet another health killer is around the corner. I am not sure people would be all that daring to try high tech but not so natural foods.  I wonder if it also means we will have to pay more for non-nano but normal foods??? What a shame! This way will also help "whole foods" vendors to make more money too. I feel sorry for all the consumers, who has to pay more to avoid bad choices.

Oh wow...thats quite disturbing.

I'm baffled by industries' desire to continue to produce innovative new products with little regard for the potential negative effects on the ecology of the systems they are supposedly attempting to improve.

I think this is will prove to be another example of the cure being worse than the disease. We continue to see this trend in developed and developing nations; in our rush to solve major industrial and social inefficiencies and inconveniences we are causing a whole new set of negative repercussions to our health, environment and society which make life even more troublesome, when we were originally trying to improve it.  This is especially prevalent in Allopathic Medical treatments. (see this article http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi90.html)

The lesson here...question the need to improve upon a good design...(ie you can avoid much pain and misery by just keeping things simple even if its hard...{ie cook your own whole foods!})

I love how often there is no end to the variety of health and life concerns that are brought up in this country that can be easily answered by three words (yet so hard to do)...EAT WHOLE FOODS.

So I'll be perfectly content to spend the time to prepare my own grains, and pay good money for ugly cuts of meat and dirty eggs in order to be free of concern about the Genic/Bio/Nano/mechanical-engineering of food like substances...

But I'm not bitter...

anything