Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Need Salad Dressing Recipes Free of Soy, Citrus and Vinegar!  (Read 11699 times)

Offline DeniseF

• Alumni
Need Salad Dressing Recipes Free of Soy, Citrus and Vinegar!
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
I'm on a temporary modified diet and desperately need some salad dressing recipes that are free of any soy, vinegars and citrus.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Denise

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Need Salad Dressing Recipes Free of Soy, Citrus and Vinegar!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:25:25 PM »
What about using umeboshi plum paste to substitute for the tartness of the citrus or vinegar? It will also add salt. Mixed with a little sesame or olive oil and garlic, I imagine it would be delicious.

Offline Catherine McConkie

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »
These combos would be good -

Vinaigrette style:
pomegranate juice, fresh thyme, dijon, S&P, oil? A teeny bit of raw honey for balance?

pomegranate molasses, cinnamon, grated ginger, S&P, oil? (walnut oil would be great)

Blended:
Fuyu persimmon, fresh ginger, cinnamon, plain yogurt, little oil (or water) and S&P (soaked apricot, few raisins if needed for sweet)

Sour green apple, parsley or cilantro, avocado, little water, S&P (little raw honey or soaked dried fruit for sweet)

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Catherine

Offline DeniseF

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 02:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the great ideas!

Offline JenniferK

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
Thank you for posting this dilemma...there seems to be an increasing need.

Question for Catherine, or any one for that matter...do you know of dijon mustard that isn't made with vinegar? I love mustard, but I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to find one made without vinegar.

Offline Catherine McConkie

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:05:48 PM »
No I actually don't know of a prepared mustard that doesn't have a little vinegar in it. I'd be interested to know too if anyone does! (Kath????)
I have used dry mustard before....it doesn't act the same in terms of emulsifying the vinaigrette but does add some of the piquancy. Not too much, it's pretty assertive. If you go the dried route you may have to tweak and dial in balance with the other players; fat, salt, sweet, sour etc.
Hope this helps, Catherine

Offline SimoneS

• Alumni
    • Zenbelly
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
Verjus is a great substitute for vinegar.  It is the pressed juice of unripe grapes.  It has a tartness as well that can easily stand in for citrus.  Some fresh herbs and olive oil and finely diced shallots make a great dressing.  Since there's no mustard to emulsify, I like to make it in a jar with a tight fitting lid so I can shake it before use.  It's especially lovely on a salad of baby arugula, roasted pears and hazelnuts.