Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: WHITE BEANS WITH ARUGULA AND ROASTED PEPPERS  (Read 1263 times)

Offline CristinaP

WHITE BEANS WITH ARUGULA AND ROASTED PEPPERS
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »

As I explore the possibilities of cooking with all types of greens, I have found a love of two of our "spicy" greens - arugula and watercress.  Although surely I have had both of these greens in the past, I wonder if I was paying attention.  With this particular recipe, I added the watercress mixed in with the arugula to accent the peppery flavors all the more.  I also found my dinner guests to be pleasantly aroused from the beginning of the meal when it began with a little spice!

ingredients
1 large bell pepper
1 cup great northern beans
5 cup water
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup baby arugula & watercress mix
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp minced flat leaf parsley
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper

Put the bell pepper under a preheated broiler, on a grill, or over a direct flame on a gas stove.  When one area is charred, turn the pepper and continue charring until it is blackened all over.  Put it in a plastic bag and let stand for about 10 minutes.  Using your fingers, slip off the charred skin.  Stem and seed the pepper and cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices.  Reserve 3 slices for garnish and chop the remaining slices.  Set aside.

Pick over and rinse the beans.  In a heavy-bottomed, medium saucepan, combine the beans with the water, bay leaf, thyme, and 1 tsp of the salt.  Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 2 hours.  Drain the beans and transfer to a large bowl.  Finely chop enough of the greens to make 5 tablespoons and add to the beans along with the garlic, parsley, 1 tbsp lemon juice, the olive oil, vinegar, and 1/2 tsp salt and white pepper.  Add chopped bell pepper.  Using a wooden spoon, stir gently to distribute the seasonings -  BE CAREFUL NOT TO MASH THE BEANS!  Add more salt and lemon juice to your liking.

Layer the greens on a platter and mound the warm beans in the center.  Garnish with red pepper strips.  Serve warm or at room temperature and watch your guests delight! ;D

anything