Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Carrot-Ginger Tart with Cardamom Cream  (Read 1840 times)

Offline StaceyO

• Alumni
Carrot-Ginger Tart with Cardamom Cream
« on: November 18, 2009, 07:10:28 PM »
I've been pleasantly surprised to discover how much I enjoy making desserts with alternative ingredients. With its challenges brings heightened creativity. This dessert using carrots as the star ingredient is a prime example. I loved putting this recipe together. My dessert-obsessed husband loved to eat it. Score!

Hopefully this will get me closer to getting a Vita-Mix from Santa.   ;)

Carrot-Ginger Tart with Cardamom Cream
By Stacey Olson Woodruff
Servings: 12

Ingredients:

For the crust:

1 cup amaranth flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup date sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp celtic sea salt
1/3 cup solid coconut oil
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal

For the filling:

1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp agar agar flakes
3 medium carrots, diced
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tbsp brown rice syrup
1 tsp date sugar
1 tsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp celtic sea salt

For the cream:

1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp freshly ground cardamom
pinch of ground cayenne pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven for 350

To make the crust, combine flours, date sugar, cinnamon and salt in a food processor fitted with a dough blade for 1 minute. Add coconut oil and process for approximately 2 minutes, until mixture resembles course meal. Mix flax seed meal and water in a small bowl. Add flax mixture and process for 1 minute until dough forms. Press dough evenly into bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan. Blind bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Cool completely.

To make the filling, add coconut milk and agar agar flakes to a medium sauce pan. Soak flakes for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small pot with a steamer basket, cover and steam carrots over medium-low heat until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. In a food processor or Vita-Mix, combine carrots, ginger, brown rice syrup, molasses, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and process until smooth. Heat coconut milk over medium-low and simmer until flakes are partially dissolved. Stir in carrot mixture and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until flakes are completely dissolved. Pour filling into tart crust and spread evenly. Allow to cool completely. Continue to chill in refrigerator until set, approximately 1 hour.

Meanwhile, make the cream by adding cashews, coconut milk, honey, vanilla, cardamom and cayenne to a food processor or Vita-Mix. Process until smooth.

Slice tart into wedges. Top each wedge with cream and serve.

Offline ErinW

• Alumni
Re: Carrot-Ginger Tart with Cardamom Cream
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:37:32 PM »
This sounds awesome!  I'm definitely filing this recipe away :)

anything