Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Almond Butter Miso Gravy  (Read 8882 times)

Offline RachelF

• Alumni
Almond Butter Miso Gravy
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:19:49 AM »
I've been making this vegetarian gravy for a few years now and its delicious! You can make it vegan too if you substitute earth balance or another dairy free "butter." I don't have an actual written recipe, I think its a bit different every year, so experiment with different amounts of everything!

use 1/4 c flour per 2 c water

To make approximately 10 cups:
-1 1/4 c flour
-butter
-shallots (2-3)
-almond butter (app. 1 cup)
-miso (1/2 cup)
-mushrooms (about 1-2 handfuls)
-salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
-Heat butter and flour over medium heat (should be consistency of wet sand on a beach), until it starts to brown and there is a nutty toasted scent.
-Add shallots (2-3), and add mushrooms and almond butter (app. 1 cup), mix all together
-add miso broth (all water plus miso, its easier to dissolve the miso in a smaller amount of water first and then add it to the broth, then add slowly to the flour mixture).
-stir until it thickens, add more flour water if its not thickening (1/4 cup at a time)
-add salt and pepper to taste

Offline LindaG

• Alumni
Re: Almond Butter Miso Gravy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:33:30 AM »
Thank you for this recipe. I am excited to try this gravy it sounds good and healthy.
Best of Health to You,
LindaG

Offline RachelF

• Alumni
Re: Almond Butter Miso Gravy
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Good, I hope you try it! I also forgot to mention that I like to blend it at the end to make it creamier, but either way is fine!