Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Amaranth Crepes in Meyer Lemon Sauce  (Read 2487 times)

Offline LynneB

• Alumni
Amaranth Crepes in Meyer Lemon Sauce
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »
I've always loved making crepes for my family, and when I discovered the healthy benefits of amaranth, which is a grain substitute for white flour, I decided to give it a try. According to Wikipedia, "Amaranth has been cultivated as a grain for 8,000 years. It was a staple food of the Aztecs, and was used as an integral part of Aztec religious ceremonies. The cultivation of amaranth was banned by the conquistadores upon their conquest of the Aztec nation. Because the plant has continued to grow as a weed since that time, its genetic base has been largely maintained. Research on grain amaranth began in the US in the 1970s. By the end of the 1970s, a few thousand acres were being cultivated. Much of the grain currently grown is sold in health food shops.

"Grain amaranth is also grown as a food crop in limited amounts in Mexico, where it is used to make a candy called alegrķa (Spanish for happiness) at festival times. The grains are popped, and mixed with honey. In Maharashtra state of India, it is called 'Rajgira' in marathi language. The popped grains are mixed with melted jaggery in proper proportion to make iron & energy rich 'laddus' that is a popular food provided in Mid-day Meal Program in municipal schools. Benefits of amaranth include:

* The protein, which is of an unusually high quality, according to ECHO.
* A ¼ cup of amaranth grain supplies 60% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance of iron.
* Amaranth grain is particularly high in lysine, an amino acid that most grains lack.
* Amaranth grain is free of gluten, which is important for people with gluten allergies."

Enjoy!

Servings: 4

Ingredients: Sauce
1 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 Tbsp arrowroot
1 tsp lemon zest

Ingredients: Crepes
3 large organic eggs
1 tsp honey
1 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup almond milk
1/8 tsp sea salt

Directions
1. Prepare sauce by combining all sauce ingredients except lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Stir and simmer over medium heat until clear and slightly thick. Remove from heat and stir in zest.
2. Beat eggs in blender, then add remaining crepe ingredients.
3. Oil pan with butter as needed, then add 1/2 cup batter per crepe, tipping pan to spread batter over surface. Bake until edges start to brown, then turn with spatula and bake other side.
4. Fill cooked crepes with bananas, roll, then cover with sauce and serve.

AdrienneL

Re: Amaranth Crepes in Meyer Lemon Sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »
Thanks so much for a gluten-free crepe offering. I love crepes - but avoid gluten. This morning, actually, I went with a friend to a crepe restaurant and was craving what I could not have...Can't wait to try this one, and maybe come up with a savory adaptation.

Offline LisaV

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
Hi Lynne,
These sound delicious!  I'm so excited to try them - I don't do gluten but I love pancakes!!!

I also wanted to note that it seems you forgot to include the flour in your recipe.  Let us know asap so we can make these for breakfast!!!  ;)

Thanks so much!

Lisa     

Offline Josh Taves

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:18 AM »
Thanks for the recipe.  I'm going to try them with 2 cups quinoa flour.