Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Dandelion is amazing!!  (Read 1925 times)

Offline LindsayU

Dandelion is amazing!!
« on: December 11, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
I have been drinking Dandelion tea and eating the greens sauteed with olive oil, garlic and lemon or just raw in salads, and I feel super light and energized!  I was reading up on it and found this website, which I found very informative.

Enjoy!

http://www.leaflady.org/health_benefits_of_dandelions.htm

Offline EricaW

• Alumni
Re: Dandelion is amazing!!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »
The first time I tried Dandelion greens was in Italy. In the countryside you can see little old ladies bent over at the waist picking the greens in the wild. They were cooked up with olive oil, salt and lemon. Not only delicious but one of the reasons that the Mediterrainean diet is so healthy.

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »
Italian dandelion greens, those sold in grocery stores as dandelion, are actually a member of the chicory family and not a true dandelion. They're very healthful, no doubt, but just aren't the real deal.

You CAN pick wild dandelion greens and eat them. Just be sure to do so before they flower, as they become even more bitter at that time and somewhat unpalatable.

Offline TiffanyEllen

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:24:57 PM »
I havent been able to find dandelion greens in the stores where I live, I dont know why it has never crossed my mind to just go pick some! Do they taste good just raw in a green salad?
~Tiffany~

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
Yes, they taste fine and dandy(lion), as long as you pick them young and tender. They may taste a little stronger, given that they're 'weeds' and not cultivated. Cultivated greens tend to be milder, but the wild ones tend to be more nutritious.

anything