Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Asian Cabbage Crunch  (Read 1487 times)

Offline AllisonL

• Alumni
Asian Cabbage Crunch
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:37:04 PM »
Asian Cabbage Crunch
Cancer

Ingredients:

1 small or 1/2 large red cabbage, shredded
1 small or 1/2 large green cabbage, shredded
1/2 napa cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
3/4 cup almonds

Dressing:
1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
2 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp tamari
maple syrup (optional, to taste)
2 tsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp dulse flakes
1-2 Tbsp nori flakes

Preparation:
Shred cabbage in food processor or slice thinly, then salt well and let sit in a collander for 1 hour.  Cover the cabbage with a weighted-down plate or other heavy object to help press out excess water.

While cabbage is resting, prepare dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl, adjusting seasonings to taste if needed.

Toast almonds in a small saucepan - once the almonds are toasted, add 3 Tbsp tamari to pan and stir almonds until tamari is absorbed.  Remove from heat and let cool, then chop into small chunks.

Mix all fresh ingredients together, reserving some scallions/cilantro/almonds for garnish - add dressing and toss until evenly coated.  Garnish and serve.

This salad was super simple to make, and aside from waiting on the cabbage for an hour, it came together pretty quickly.  I started out using the food processor to shred the cabbage, but it seemed to be turning into cabbage mush, so I ended up just slicing it thinly with a knife instead.  I also toasted the nori flakes just a little bit (until they started to curl up in the pan) and added them to the salad at the very end rather than mixing them in with the dressing.  It is a really healthy salad, and a great way to sneak some sea vegetables into a meal - I think it would be good with mandarin orange slices, and maybe with some miso in the dressing as well.