Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Nutrition Journal Antioxidant Food Chart  (Read 17019 times)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Nutrition Journal Antioxidant Food Chart
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:14:39 AM »
The latest article alert from BioMed Central has an article from Nutrition Journal concerning the antioxidant content of 3100 foods. They've compiled this information into a couple of charts, which you can download from the PDF article linked below. There's interesting information contained within it (coffee lovers rejoice). Don't overlook the herbs and spices. Impressive. And students, this looks like solid research that you can use as reference material for assignments. I think one of the important take-aways is that the foods all vary so widely in their antioxidant content, no doubt based on where and how they were grown, how long they sat around before getting to market, how they were prepared. This really drives home the point about varying our foods to maximize our nutrients.

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-3.pdf

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
Re: Nutrition Journal Antioxidant Food Chart
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:37:36 AM »
Wow!  This is wonderful, thanks Jodi!

Offline AndrienneY

• Alumni
    • adrienneats
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
In addition to that, I found a Natural News article that specifically discusses the benefits of drinking coffee: http://www.NaturalNews.com/028036_coffee_antioxidants.html

So what is it in coffee that provides such remarkable benefits? First, that cup of java is a terrific source of protective antioxidants.
blog: adrienneats.blogspot.com
twitter: twitter.com/adrienneats
design: cargocollective.com/adrienneyancey
flickr: flickr.com/photos/anytype

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:15:11 AM »
Ahhh, the health reports that support our habits....I must disagree that Coffee is a good source of antioxidants and therefore good for our health. (especially in the amounts they recommend in the original article...6 cups per day!)

Yes I do agree that coffee has significant amounts of antioxidants, yet this one dimensional view of foods can get us in trouble. If its just about antioxidants, then simple mint tea has 10X the amount compared to coffee...

Drinking such a stimulating compound is very unbalancing...just try to go off for a day or two if you are a regular coffee drinker and you'll see what I mean. Such a dependency that can cause imbalances (among other health concerns)  I can't see how this would be good for your mental/emotional/relational/physical health.

My concerns about coffee could fill a volume...but this article can sum it up nicely. Only one caveat...I think it can help to induce and disturb blood sugar regulation disorders, whereas this article doesn't make that connection.  One of the biggest concerns for womans health would be the reduced iron and other mineral absorption from the tannins. 

http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/adverse_effects_of_coffee_drinkingh

Here is probably the best synapsis of the state of affairs surrounding coffee:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/12/10/coffee-part-two.aspx

Consider this also, coffee is roasted to a VERY high temperature (400-600+degrees), and when you do this with ANY food you are producing VERY cancerous and detrimental compounds while destroying the nutritional integrity of the original food.

Sorry to burst your Coffee bubble...but I don't think this fits in the category of "Booster Foods"...

Don't kill the coffee messenger...
j

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:38:32 AM by blujay »
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline myqute

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
Coffee's polyphenols are good, but the caffeine is cause for concerm (actually a poison and related to loss of bone density).  There are many more chemicals in coffee not yet studied.

And most people forget that ground coffee is oxidising (open to free radical attacks) before it's even mixed into water to make your fav. cuppa.

Offline LauraHe

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 01:11:13 PM »
Thanks for this valuable information. I plan to use this Food Chart personally and professionally. I am amazed and delighted of the powerful tool phytonutrients provide in both fighting chronic oxidative stress diseases, and creating colorful and flavorful meals. In addition, this reading reinforces the importance of a plant based food, which is the base in our studies. Finally, I will introduce some food items that are that I don't use:Billberries dried, Indian Goosberries dried, and Dog Rose dried.

Offline VeronicaH

• Alumni
  • In health there is freedom.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:04 AM »
September 20, 2010

I have to agree with blujay about the misleading studies that promote coffee as a "health drink". I used to be a heavy coffee drinker and I can say from experience that the withdrawals associated with stopping the dependency are horrible. It took me several months to get back some semblance of normalcy after kicking coffee to the curb. I currently have a client that I am trying to help let go of her coffee addiction. It is a difficult task but I believe that it can be done.

Be Well,

Veronica
Vero Harrell

Offline RamyaR

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
This is an awesome list. Thanks for sharing Jodi.

Ramya

Offline Tracy Young

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 06:58:33 AM »
I love coffee and would love to only see the positives in drinking it in attempts to convince my body it's a good thing.  but again, we are so individual and sometimes the negative impacts outweigh the positives.  check out the connection between coffee and gluten sensitivity....

http://drclark.typepad.com/dr_david_clark/2011/09/coffee-and-gluten-sensitivity-surprising-news.html
let the beauty we love be what we do ~Rumi

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »
The author of this article left out some very important information. Coffee is but one of several foods that can cross react with gluten. The list from Cyrex Labs (I removed things that are fractionated foods) includes some gluten-containing foods but also contains some that we've come to view as healthful. Perhaps testing for those with gluten sensitivity is a very good idea.

Cow's Milk IgG, IgA
    American Cheese IgG, IgA
    Chocolate IgG, IgA
    Sesame IgG, IgA
    Hemp IgG, IgA
    Rye IgG, IgA
    Barley IgG, IgA
    Polish Wheat IgG, IgA
    Buckwheat IgG, IgA
    Egg
    Soy
    Sorghum IgG, IgA
    Millet IgG, IgA
    Spelt IgG, IgA
    Amaranth IgG, IgA
    Quinoa IgG, IgA
    Yeast IgG, IgA
    Tapicoca IgG, IgA
    Teff IgG, IgA
    Oats IgG, IgA
    Coffee IgG, IgA
    Corn IgG, IgA
    Rice IgG, IgA
    Potato IgG, IgA
    Whey

Offline nancybirang

• Faculty
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
Indeed, best to avoid coffee with any autoimmune conditions as well as food allergies; while the coffee smell, taste & buzz may b wonderful-I suggest that my clients take a "coffee break" and evaluate; most agree thye feel better w/o the coffee
Board Certified, Holistic Nutrition
Registered, National Association of Nutrition Professionals
Bachelor of Science, Medical Technology
Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist

Offline nancybirang

• Faculty
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
Thanks for posting this!  Impressive article; some more science to help with E4H compliance; particularly interesting info on the assay techniques.
Board Certified, Holistic Nutrition
Registered, National Association of Nutrition Professionals
Bachelor of Science, Medical Technology
Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist

Offline debrab510

• Alumni
    • Holistic Nutrition 4 Health
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:54 AM »
Thanks for the info Jodi!!  I always knew coffee was good for you!  ;D   
Debi
Debi Bryk, NC
Holistic Nutrition 4 Health

Offline donnagiamo

• Student
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
Thank you for this great resource, Jodi!

anything