Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Soyburgers laced with neurotoxins  (Read 2288 times)

Offline RosannaF

• Alumni
Soyburgers laced with neurotoxins
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »
Hello my fellow healthfood lovers,

This just in on the vegetarian's favorite burgers - buyer beware!

In health,

Rosanna

Soyburgers laced with neurotoxins
Cory Doctorow

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/14/soyburgers-laced-wit.html

The search for truth goes on: yesterday morning [i.e., 4/13], I blogged a study from the
Cornucopia Institute on the use of the neurotoxin hexane in production of soyburgers, which
sparked a controversy n the comment thread about the science, focusing mostly on the question of whether any of the volatile hexane would still be present after the burgers made it to your shelf. For the record: I'm dubious about this objection, since in the absence of a study to the contrary, I think it makes sense to assume that the substances you put into food during production are still present at consumption. And of course, the release of hexane into the environment as part of the production of these "healthy alternatives" undermines the whole cause of improving health.

PeaceLove sez, "Shocking Mother Jones article about a Cornucopia Institute report on how many of the most popular veggie burgers are made with hexane, a neurotoxic byproduct of gas refining."

In order to meet the demands of health-conscious consumers, manufacturers of soy-based fake meat like to make their products have as little fat as possible. The cheapest way to do this is by submerging soybeans in a bath of hexane to separate the oil from the protein. Says Cornucopia Institute senior researcher Charlotte Vallaeys, "If a non-organic product contains a soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, or texturized vegetable protein, you can be pretty sure it was made using soy beans that were made with hexane."

If you've heard about hexane before, it was likely in the context of gasoline--the air pollutant is also a byproduct of gas refining. But in 2007, grain processors were responsible for two-thirds of our national hexane emissions. Hexane is hazardous in the factory, too: Workers who have been exposed to it have developed both skin and nervous system disorders. Troubling, then, that the FDA does not monitor or regulate hexane residue in foods. More worrisome still: According to the report, "Nearly every major ingredient in conventional soy-based infant formula is hexane extracted."

Here's some of the soy brands that contain neurotoxins: "Boca Burger (conventional), Franklin Farms, Garden Burger, It's All Good Lightlife, Morningstar Farms, President's Choice, Taste
Above, Trader Joe's, Yves Veggie Cuisine."

And here's some that are free from hexane: "Boca Burgers (Made with organic soy), Helen's
Kitchen, Morningstar (Made with organic), Superburgers by Turtle Island, Tofurky, Wildwood."
This is one way in which the "organic" label is more than just a greenwash! On the other hand, anything labelled as "made with organic ingredients" instead of "organic" can have hexane or plutonium or whatever.

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Soyburgers laced with neurotoxins
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »
Hexane is the least of your worries when it comes to these kind of processed food-like substances. Hexane is widely used as cheap, relatively safe, largely unreactive, and easily evaporated non-polar solvent. Which means that it cooks off when you heat your food leaving only minute amounts of the residues...still there is cause for concern.

I would be more concerned about these components in your processed meat-like patties...

Disodium guanylate:
This is recommended to not be feed to infants under 12 weeks (or humans of any age for that matter), and it also metabolizes into purines which should be avoided by people with lung issues or gout/kidney issues. Its a flavor enhancing product that us predominantly used in conjunction with MSG, so if this is in your food...likely MSG is present also...oh, look there it is...but it has a few different names, such as...

Yeast Extract ,Calcium Caseinate, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP), Textured Protein
Monopotassium glutamate,   Hydrolyzed Plant Protein (HPP), Glutamate,    Autolyzed Plant Protein , Yeast food or nutrient, Glutamic Acid, Sodium Caseinate, Autolyzed Yeast, Vegetable Protein Extract, Senomyx (wheat extract labeled as artificial flavor)
:   
This one is even more concerning also because of the nerutoxic/Excitotoxic effects. Excitotoxicity is the pathological process by which nerve cells  are damaged and killed by glutamate and similar substances. Excitotoxicity may be involved in spinal cord injury, stroke, traumatic brain injury and neurodegenerative diseases of the central nervous system (CNS) such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's disease, alcoholism  or alcohol withdrawal and Huntington's disease.  Other common conditions that cause excessive glutamate concentrations around neurons are hypoglycemia (yes, its diabetogenic!)

Soy Beans themselves: To much here to cover but do your reasearch on the effects of these compounds...Phytates, Oxalates, Phytoestrogens, GMO contaminated soy crops, Isoflavones, Trypsin/protein inhibitors, Hemagglutinin enzymes in soy.

And these are just the things we know about and have been identified and tested...just think about how much we don't know...

So I hope this gives you a mounting case for the complete avoidance of any processed foods, especially ones that promote themselves as being "heart healthy", "low fat", "Healthy", "Natural" and even "Organic"

If this subject of soy not being a healthy promoting food is new to anyone...search more on this forum for peoples experiences and research covering this subject.

I'm all for eating bean burgers (there are other high protein beans other than soy)...but the only processed food I trust is the food I process in my own kitchen from WHOLE FOODS.

--Anti-Faux Food fanatic
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:21:49 PM by blujay »
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

anything