Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Alternative flour for gnocchi  (Read 3707 times)

Offline SuzanneG

• Alumni
Alternative flour for gnocchi
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »
Any recommendations on an alternative flour to use in making gnocchi?  Does not necessarily need to be gluten free, just looking for a flour that works as well as the white-flour-of-my-past!

Offline HeidiH

Re: Alternative flour for gnocchi
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »
Great question...I love gnocchi...I am going to do some research on this and get back to you.

Offline KathleenJ

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »

I was just wandering around the internet a few days ago and stumbled across directions on making chickpea flour... so easy!  I imagine the same directions can be followed for making fava bean flour...  These two may be the right food choices for gnocchi flour... I am intrigued by your question...  if I get around to making gnocchi with one of these flours I will let you know! 

Also as mentioned in 'Gut Solutions' by Brenda Watson ND & Leonard Smith MD, having fava bean flour can help buffer stomach acids, and can be beneficial for those suffering from GERD. 

buon appetito!!!

Offline DianaA

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:06:02 PM »
This is a great recipe for Gluten Free Gnocchi (adapted from a recipe by Paula Santos). As you can see, it isn't as much about what type of flour you use, as it is about adding items to take the place of the gluten in the wheat and give the gnocchi the "mouth feel" of the traditional variety. Hope this helps!

Servings: 4

Ingredients:

2 lbs cooked mashed potatoes, russets are good (or change it up and use sweet potatoes)
1 cup brown rice flour (or use sweet rice flour for a more authentic appearance)
3/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1 tsp xanthum gum (this helps to firm the gnocchi and avoids a "mushy" feeling)
1 tablespoon organic butter
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan (optional)
2 organic cage free eggs
pinch of sea salt for water

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients with hands except sea salt. Knead lightly. Shape small portions of the dough into long ropes.
2. On a floured surface, cut ropes into small pieces.
3. Place a few gnocchi in salted boiling water. As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked.
4. Cover with your favorite sauce and serve.

Offline PamelaM

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
I've been using quinoa flour and it's delicious. I found it very light and works beautifully. I
was really surprised.

anything