Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Casein and Whey Intolerance - is goat's milk/cheese safe?  (Read 23176 times)

Offline erynm219

Casein and Whey Intolerance - is goat's milk/cheese safe?
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
Hello.  I was diagnosed with an IgG sensitivity to casein and whey.  My symptoms include extreme fatigue and inability to focus.  The test only covered cow dairy, so my question is whether or not it's safe to try goat or sheep cheese as an alternative? Are casein and whey the same in all dairy or are some less allergenic?

Offline heatherl245

• Alumni
Re: Casein and Whey Intolerance - is goat's milk/cheese safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »
Hello,
Many people who have sensitivities to cow milk find that they do just fine with sheep or goat dairy. Goat milk is said to be more similar to human milk and for that reason some say it is more digestible. Sheep's milk contains both short and medium chain fatty acids and the fat globules are smaller than cows milk because of this we can more easily break them down. Sheep and goats are typically raised on pastures without the use of hormones and antibiotics so the milk is usually safer to consume.

If you decide to try either sheep or goat milk I would recommend abstaining from all dairy for a few weeks and then slowly introduce goat or sheep milk into your diet and keep a journal to see how you feel. I have tried this and have found that goat was easier to digest than cows milk but it is best that I stay way from all dairy.

Best of luck,
Heather

Offline laceyd684

• Roots Nutrition
Re: Casein and Whey Intolerance - is goat's milk/cheese safe?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi,

I agree with the previous response and have heard many people do fair better with goat's milk. However, I would omit all dairy products. True allergy involves the immune system, Non-immune-mediated reactions (often referred to as intolerances or sensitivities) can have just as serious consequences. There's a reason your body is responding the way it does to casein and whey, regardless of the source - it's best to avoid. If you're looking for alternative sources of calcium/protein I'd recommend foods like spinach, almonds, hazelnuts, soybeans, navy beans, turnip greens, broccoli, swiss chard, and kale :) or if you're missing cheese you should try Daiya cheese (found at whole foods and other grocery stores) or trying alternative dairy products like Tofutti cream cheese or sour cream. Lots of great recipes in the other food forum.

Hope this was helpful!
Lacey