Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Distance vs. in classroom for Nutrition Educator  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Leah

• Alumni
Distance vs. in classroom for Nutrition Educator
« on: September 06, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has already done the distance learning nutrition educator program and how was their experience.  Their likes and dislikes vs. going into a classroom.  I would rather do distance learning because I don't live close but I want to learn and get as much out of the course as possible.  I've never taken a distance learning course before.  Did anyone finish the distance learning and feel like they were to any disadvantage learning it on their own?  Anyone who started doing distance and then switched to in the classroom?
I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Offline Dinene

• Alumni
Re: Distance vs. in classroom for Nutrition Educator
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
Hi Leah,
I did the Distance Learning for N.E. in 2005-2006 and completed the N.C. course this year in classroom.
What I enjoyed about doing distance learning is that it gave me more time to complete the course at my own pace.  You will have a mentor to consult with about questions and to go over homework. This is immensely helpful.  I had to structure myself and set goals for completing assignments.  This is very important since working from home there can be temptations to distract from schoolwork.

Also, I made a point to try out the practice exercises on myself and others, and did snack demos in front of audiences of friends. 

In classroom, it is so stimulating to hear different ideas and have a community of like-minded people right there to interact with.  For Distance Learners, I'd suggest going to workshops, etc. to interact with the nutrition community.  It can be inspiring to do so.  On the other hand doing assignments, reading from home can help formulate your own ideas, to find out your philosophy and style which can be beneficial.

I really loved being in the classroom.  But you have to think about whether it would be taxing on you to travel whatever distance you are from the nearest school, and whether you have time constraints, etc.  If so, distance learning can be a wonderful option. 

Offline Leah

• Alumni
Re: Distance vs. in classroom for Nutrition Educator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »
Thank you so much for your response!  I was wondering what are you going to do with  the certificate now that you're done?   Have you thought about taking the Natural Chef program?  I live 2 hours from Penngrove so I'm a little concerned about driving down 3 days a week for the chef and 1 day a week for the Educator program.  I'm just not sure which would be most important to start with, etc. I'm not sure what I'll do with the certificate yet, just trying to get some feedback on what others are doing.  I appreciate your advice!

Leah

anything