Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Amaranth seeds  (Read 5678 times)

Offline NataliaA

• Alumni
Amaranth seeds
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »
Like everybody else here, I'm adding new, different things in  my diet, therefore  I'm interested to learn some recipes that include amaranth seeds and the cooking methods.
Thanks.

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
Re: Amaranth seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 08:10:10 AM »
Hi Natalia,

Here's a good link with some useful information about how to cook and use amaranth:

http://chetday.com/amaranth.html

HTH
Mira

Offline NataliaA

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »
Thank you,Mira

Offline JennyR

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »
Hi Natalia,
I really like mixing amaranth with other grains, especially for a breakfast porridge. Some of my favorite blends are millet, quinoa and amaranth or buckwheat, quinoa and amaranth. this is my basic porridge recipe:

Rinse (esp. quinoa) and soak grains overnight (beside the digestional benefits of soaking, it also reduces cooking time).
In the morning, add a little more water to grains if needed (water should just cover grains). Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and skim off any scud that arises. Add a pinch of salt, a couple chopped dried dates, and any other dried fruit (i like raisins and cranberries).
Once the grains are tender, remove from heat. Stir in butter or creamed coconut, and I like to add any or all of the following:
shredded coconut
maple syrup/honey
fresh fruit
ground flax seeds
spirulina
sprouted sunflower seeds

Enjoy!
Jenny

Offline JessicaHi

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
A great book that focuses on incorporating more grains, including amaranth, is "Super Natural Cooking" by Heidi Swanson.  I love this book.  The recipes are really user friendly.  Even if you don't plan to make any of the recipes, this is a really good resource to have. 

I just stumbled upon some amaranth greens at my local farmers' market.  I have not tried them out yet, but plan to experiment tomorrow.