Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Ridges in Fingernails  (Read 13075 times)

Offline HallieK

• Alumni
Ridges in Fingernails
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
I have always had very prominent ridges running lengthwise in my fingernails.  My mother also has them, but only on her thumb nails.  What are the causes of fingernail ridges?  Are they normal or do they indicate an underlying problem?  My nails are strong, do not crack or split, grow quickly, and are normally colored.  They just have so many ridges!  Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
  • Nothing so good for the heart as the horse.
    • The Tao of Chow
Re: Ridges in Fingernails
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:16:49 PM »
Mineral deficiences are indicated by this.  Nori talks about it in NE in Berkeley.  I'm working on my final NC project so don't have time to dig out the info she gave out in class.
Hope this helps a little! :)  Nori, are you out there?  Maybe you could shed a little light!
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  
settle into your wellness
email:  dixie@the-tao-of-chow.com

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:13:42 AM »
I have a great PDF on fingernail abnormalities, written by doctors and complete with very good photographs. I'm attempting to attach the file. If it doesn't work, email me personally and I'll send it to you. Great piece to have in your files.

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Jodi,  Thanks for sharing this, it's a great resource.

Offline Farhana Leisawitz

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
Just want to say thank you for this posting.  I have a fingernail with a brown pigmented streak that I have been very curious about.  It wasn't always there.  It started about 15 years ago and I had a biopsy when it first appeared.  The biopsy was negative for melanoma and the explanation that I was given is that there is a mole in the bed of the nail and that as the nail grows it pulls the pigment from the mole.  I wonder if that is an accurate explanation?

I never researched the condition after the biopsy since it was negative and since the appearance of the fingernail never changed.  My nails are normal, strong and healthy otherwise.  But I do get asked about the pigment all the time and I give the explanation I was told. 

Anyway, this posting was quite interesting for me.  I read the article and learned that these pigmented streaks are normal in dark-skinned people.  This is comforting since I am Indian and have dark skin.

Thank you for the information!  Now I have more to tell people when they ask.

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
Hi Hallie,
Your question got my attention because I have ridges as well.  In my Nutrition Education class last year, In Chapter Two, Digestive Physiology and again in my culinary class, Digestive Welllness Part 1, this year, I have been reminded that possible causes of ridges in the fingernails could be a sign of low HCl.   And low HCl effects protein digestion.  And protein plays an important part in our nails, hair, etc.   Some of the reasons for low HCl are aging, deficiency of zinc (often in vegan and vegetarian diets), H. pylori infection and frequent us of antacids.   Another sign of low HCl is burping, belching & bloating after meals and feeling too much fullness after a meal, as if it is just sitting there.  Also heartburn could be a sign. (Bauman, Digestive Wellness, Part 1).   A couple things we can do for low HCl is taking bitters before eating larger meals and eating more bitter foods.   A website that has some info is: www.righthealth.com/topic/hypochlorhydria?
Blessings,
nattaliaC

Offline HollyZ

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
Hi Natalia - I have a friend who is vegan and is concerned about the horizontal ridges and vertical ridges in her fingernails.   She also has white spots which I believe are normal. I don't see any clear cut info or pictures regarding this on the website. Because she is vegan, she may be lacking in minerals or just not absorbing properly. You talked about low HCI. She does not suffer from acid reflux.  Can you shed any other info?

Holly

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »
Yes, Holly, since your friend is vegan, she might want to check her HCl.  If it is low, the  pepsinogens aren't going to be activated to convert to pepsin which would make absorption of some minerals (like calcium and iron) difficult.  There is a list of the symptoms of low gastric acidity in Chapter Two, Digestive Physiology of the Nutrition Educator Handbook and also in Chapter Six, Therapeutic Applications I of the Natural Chef Handbook.  If you don't have access to either of these; I would be happy to let you know what they are.
  For myself, I would always burp right after consuming just about anything.  I also was not eating very much protein of any kind, so I'm pretty sure my HCl was very low.  So, now I have been trying to remember to take bitters before a meal to start stimulating my digestion and also take an HCl tablet during a meal to help with digestion and it seems to be working.  I no longer have to burp after eating or drinking.
I also wanted to mention that vegans have a harder time obtaining vitamin B12.  Unless they are eating things like tempeh and other fermented foods and nutritional yeast, they might not be getting enough, if any.  According to Michael Murray, N.D., the richest sources of vitamin B12 come from animal sources like fish, eggs, meat and cheese. 
Well, I hope I answered your inquiry.  Let me know if I can be of any more help.
blessings,
nattaliaC

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
  • Nothing so good for the heart as the horse.
    • The Tao of Chow
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:05:06 AM »
I love your little doggie in the picture!  :D
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  
settle into your wellness
email:  dixie@the-tao-of-chow.com

Offline HollyZ

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »
Thanks Nattalia - I did find the info in Chapter two. So much info to absorb.  My friends are keeping busy with all their issues.  I will pass on the info.

Holly

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »
You're welcome Holly.  And, thanks Dixie, that's little lulu; she's a sweetheart.
blessings
nattaliaC

anything