Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Baked Salmon on Chard  (Read 2289 times)

Offline DominiqueR

• Alumni
Baked Salmon on Chard
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:41:34 AM »
Baked Salmon on Chard

Cucumber Relish
1 cucumber (preferably English), seeded and cut into 1/4 dice (1.5 cups)
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 dice (1/2 cup)
2-3 green onions, including some tender green tops, finely chopped (1/8 cup)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup white cider vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

About one hour before serving, make the cucumber relish.  In a bowl, combine the cucumber, bell pepper, green onions and dill.  In a separate small bowl, combine the cider vinegar, sugar and salt.  Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.  Add the sweetened vinegar to the cucumber mixture and stir well.  Taste and adjust the seasoning.  Set aside at room temperature for 50-60 minutes, stirring frequently.

Salmon
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 green Swiss chard leaves
Salt
4 salmon fillets, 6-7 oz. each, skin removed
Freshly ground black pepper

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.  Select a baking dish that will accommodate the salmon fillets comfortably in a single layer.  Brush the bottom of the dish with some of the olive oil.

Rinse the chard leaves.  Trim the white steams from the chard, including the first two inches that protrude into the leaves.  Discard the stems.  Fold the leaves in half crosswise, sprinkle them with water and arrange in 4 stacks of 2 leaves each in the bottom of the dish.  Sprinkle the chard with a little salt and lay a salmon fillet, skinned side down, on each chard stack.  Brush the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper.

Bake, uncovered, until the salmon flesh is opaque throughout when pierced with the tip of a knife, 12-15 minutes.

Using a spatula, carefully transfer the fillets with their chard leaves to warmed plates.  Top with cucumber relish.  Serve at once and enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of A. Ventris

Offline AnitaSt

• Alumni
Re: Baked Salmon on Chard
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Hi Dominique,
Thanks for sharing.  I eat salmon at least once a week and am always looking for new creative ways to prepare it.  I've got this one on my to do list...will let you know how it turns out.
Anita

Offline elenafood

Re: Baked Salmon on Chard (please don't discard green chard's stems!!)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:12 PM »
this looks like a good recipe - I was looking a way to combine green chard
with fish which in my native country is usually not mixed.

But, I differ with the recipe's author about "discard white stems". Green chard stems can be eaten as a salad or made into other dishes once you steam them. Whenever I can get green chard (which is not easily available in the Canadian city where I live), I separate the green part of the leaves and the thick white stems. I prepare whatever dish I want with the leaves and I cut the stems in small pieces, steam until tender and either bake them with grated cheese, a bit of grated nutmeg and breadcrumbs or else make a salad which can be mixed with several items -- cherry tomatos, olives, steamed carrot, left over meats, whatever - then season with olive oil, lemon etc. But never discard green chard stems! By the way, green chard is quite different from the more popular (perhaps because of the colour?) red-stemmed chard which is more available. Red-stem chard has a distinct fibrous texture and a stronger flavour than green chard.

Offline BoooD4455

Re: Baked Salmon on Chard
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 05:56:10 AM »
Souns Great! Thank's for recipe! I will try
Try this recipe - Grilled Sea Bream
https://mygreencookbook.com/grilled-sea-bream/
Ingredients
Ingredients
1 Sea Bream
0,5 Lemon
1 sprig Rosemary
1 sprig Parsley