With cabbage and fennel sprouting up this month, this salad is a colorful and seasonal side dish. It boasts an abundance of healing nutrients, with flavonoids from the cabbage, anti-parasitic properties from the pumpkin seeds, and beta carotene from the carrots.
[b]Cabbage + Fennel Salad With Citrus Vinaigrette[/b]
- 3/4 lbs purple cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 3/4 lbs green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 tsp sea salt, more to taste
- 3 Tbs lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 Tbs orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey, more as needed to balance
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1/2 small red onion (about 1/4 lb), very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Add the cabbage to a large bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to rest for 15 minutes or more.
- In a bowl, mix together lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, mustard, and honey. Whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Taste and adjust.
- Add fennel, carrots, and onion to the bowl with the salted cabbage. Pour half of the dressing on top and mix well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes or more.
- Taste the salad and add more dressing as needed.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, currants, and cilantro. Mix to combine. Garnish with extra cilantro if desired.