Having a pool party this month? For adults, pool parties and cocktails seem to go hand-in-hand. Sun and booze, however, work against hydration and can be very taxing on the body. Here is a recipe for a refreshing, sweet, and spicy pineapple drink that everyone can enjoy!
Chicha De Piña
- 1 lb purple corn
- 1 large pineapple, ripe, cut into rounds width-wise
- 2 green apples
- 1 1/2 tsp cloves, whole
- 1/2 tsp allspice, whole
- 2 whole Ceylon cinnamon sticks
- 1 gal water
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced, substitute Meyer lemon if desired
- agave nectar, to taste, or substitute honey, coconut sugar, or palm sugar
- Combine purple corn, pineapple, apples, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon in a large stockpot. Add water and bring to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes and then uncover the pot and continue simmering for 30 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature or use ice paddles to bring down temperature. Strain and discard fruit and spices.
- Stir in lime and lemon juice. Sweeten to taste. Serve over ice, if desired.