A coconut lover’s dream, this simple cake is topped with dairy-free coconut whipped cream and contains grain-free coconut flour. The resulting dessert is moist, light, and a delicious showstopper at any dinner party.
Note: the center of this cake may sag, so it’s best to use a filling that will spread easily, like jam or marmalade.
[b]Coconut Vanilla Cake with Coconut Whipped Cream Frosting[/b]
- [b]Coconut Vanilla Cake[/b][br]
- coconut oil, to grease cake pans
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 maple syrup
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 pinches cream of tartar (add to egg whites only)
- [b]Coconut Whipped Cream[/b][br]
- 1 can coconut milk (brands free of stabilizers, such as guar gum, work best)
- 1/2 tsp agar
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
[b]Coconut Vanilla Cake[/b][br]
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and grease sides with oil.
- In a medium to large bowl, sift together coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in melted coconut oil.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and, using a hand mixer, gradually blend wet ingredients into dry. Blend for 3 minutes at medium speed until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites with a pinch of cream of tartar until stiff (but not dry) peaks form.
- Working in thirds, gently fold whipped egg whites into cake batter. Pour batter into pans and bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool fully before frosting. Freeze for 30 minutes for smoother surface before frosting.
[b]Coconut Whipped Cream[/b][br]
- Boil coconut milk and agar on stove top for 15 minutes at medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients.
- Chill in bowl in fridge for 2 hours or more.
- Scrape mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Try adding a coffee alternative like [url href=”https://dandyblend.com/” target=”_blank”]Dandy Blend[/url] to the frosting for a delicious mocha flavor![br][br]This cake may keep at room temperature for a few hours; after that, store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.[br][br][b]Allergens:[/b] eggs