This dairy-free soup is made creamy by the addition of oats. Learn to make gluten-free croutons by tossing gluten-free bread with herbs and toasting in the oven.
1 ½ Tbs olive oil
2 leeks (white and pale green parts only),
washed and thinly sliced
1 Tbs fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried
4 bunches baby broccoli, sliced into 1/2″ pieces
and tops of one bunch reserved for garnish
6 cups vegetable stock
½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
3 cups medium diced gluten-free bread
¼ cup tea seed oil or other medium to high heat fat
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
1 tsp minced fresh oregano
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
1. Heat a pot over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil, leeks, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until tender and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the oregano, broccoli, stock, and oats. Season with more salt to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender and the oats are cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
3. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth, starting on low speed and working in batches.
4. Return to pot and add nutmeg and black pepper. Taste and adjust.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cubed bread, olive oil, herbs, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
3. Distribute the bread evenly in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
4. Use the croutons to garnish the soup.