Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Mediterranean Veggie Burger  (Read 2561 times)

Offline shanak529

• Alumni
Mediterranean Veggie Burger
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »
Mediterranean Veggie Burger

From Vegetarian Times July/August 2010
Prep Time:  45 minutes
Cook Time:  10 minutes
Serves:  6

Ingredients
4 oz. whole wheat rigatoni
cup red quinoa
7 oz. low-sodium vegetable broth
1   tsp. olive oil
cup chopped onion
9 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cups cooked white beans, rinsed, drained and thoroughly patted dry
cup steamed broccoli
cup plus 2 Tbs. finely shredded green cabbage
3 Tbs. finely chopped red bell pepper
2 Tbs. tomato sauce
6 kalamata olives, sliced
2 oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
2 Tbs. olive oil for oiling patties and grill topper

Directions
1.   Cook rigatoni in large pot of boiling salted water 19 minutes, or until very soft. Drain, measure out 1 cups very tightly packed rigatoni, and set aside.
2.   Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 13 minutes, or until slightly undercooked; some of the white germ will have opened, but much of the quinoa will still have a slight bite. Drain and set aside.
3.   Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 1 minute. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Set aside.
4.   Process rigatoni and white beans in food processor 1 minute, or until smooth and paste-like (its OK if there are a few small bits of pasta still intact). Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in cup quinoa, broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper, tomato sauce, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Mash to combine.
5.   Form 6 cup sized patties. Brush tops of each patty with olive oil.
6.   Heat grill to high heat. Brush grill topper with oil if needed. Place each patty oiled side down on grill topper. Set grill topper on grill, close grill cover, and cook 6 to 7 minutes. Brush each patty with oil and carefully flip. Close grill, and grill 3-4 minutes more.
7.   Serve on whole wheat hamburger buns with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and avocado.

Offline Jackie Chatman

• Alumni
    • Eating for Wellness Nutrition and Fitness
Re: Mediterranean Veggie Burger
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
Any adjustments if I just brown rice pasta?

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Mediterranean Veggie Burger
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
Did the magazine provide a breakdown of macronutrients? The only problem with this delicious-sounding recipe to me is that the "burger", traditionally a protein source, appears to be very high in carbohydrates. Even though quinoa is a high protein grain, it's still primarily starchy carbohydrate, and ditto the beans. Serving this on a bun would provide a whopping load of starchiness. I would probably choose to serve this in place of potatoes, not in place of a lean, grass-fed burger patty or a tempeh "burger".

And I bring this up not to dampen enthusiasm for a nice-sounding dish, but because I see this frequently with vegetarian recipes that are trying to substitute for meat. That's a difficult task that often leaves the protein component forgotten and the protein:carbohydrate ratio ignored.