Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Question about scope of training  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Orrin Ahola

Question about scope of training
« on: September 04, 2010, 08:28:45 AM »
I have a question about the following quote from Dr. Bauman.  I encountered this statement while browsing the forums.  I'm sorry it is out of context, but I have lost track of the thread.

"My approach is to connect deeply with the person and decide what would be the MOST helpful approach to support their quality of life and vitality rather than TREAT the cancer, which isn't the way a nutrition consultant works. I have found the relationship I or my associates form with the person with an illness helps the client and their family manage the problem on several levels, beyond just diet."

QUESTION:  This appears to be a highly mature and comprehensive perspective on managing illness.  Are the knowledge and skillset to accomplish this approach developed in the nutritional counselling program?  Of course, I realize Dr. Bauman is a seasoned veteran. and such expertise like any other needs to be honed over time.  But are the seeds of such abilities planted in the training?

The reason I ask is that, quite simply, I want to be able to do what he's doing for patients! ;-) 

Thank you.

Orrin Ahola

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
Re: Question about scope of training
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:54:19 PM »
I appreciate the question and the desire to work to with individuals in a deep and healing way that includes diet, herbs, and targeted nutrients, but transcends that with the quality of the of relationship, the awakening of the healer within and shifting the thoughts,feelings, tone and intelligence of the body towards health.

It is my goal that this is what the program brings forward, from the first class to it's completion and beyond when graduates stay in touch with the Bauman College community. Students, both in class and at a distance will hear my comments and feel where I am coming from with each slide in the course. While a good deal of the discussion does center on physiology, biochemistry and nutrition, I bring my full being to the work and have seen that it inspires a deeper sense of what it means to be alive in these times and how to be of service to one another.

The holistic nature of the work is how we show up in our life and how that affects one another. I welcome students who listen to their inner voice as well as my voice and aim to find truth rather than claim to know it a priori. Working with clients is the most wonderful way to apply the information we are ingesting, digesting and letting it be fuel for helping others grow. The wonderful thing about working with people who have cancer is that they are so ready to be touched at their core, rather than being  dehumanized with standard care.

Thanks for your question and desire to work from the place where Eating for Health is more than a food plan. It's a life process that feeds awareness, compassion and self-actualization as much as it supports our blood, bones, organ and endocrine system..

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:32:29 PM by Marlina E »
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Question about scope of training
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
Orrin,

Don't know if you're still reading this thread but I was on vacation and am just now seeing it.

I've been a Bauman DL student and now work for the school as a DL Mentor and a writer. Dr. Bauman has been and continues to be an incredible mentor. The nutrition/supplement/herb information has been valuable, of course, but what I've really gained from him are the skills required to achieve lasting success with my clients. What I do in my client interviews transcend giving them useful information. I help them explore their inner worlds--their places of ambivalence and resistance--and I guide them in becoming self-aware and self-motivating.

You will find, in the NC material, some excellent guiding material for conducting productive client interviews. That, coupled with Dr. Bauman's lectures and writings about working with people, constitutes one of the true treasures of this program.

anything