Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Curious what Bauman graduates are doing for work.  (Read 12164 times)

Offline joanne

Curious what Bauman graduates are doing for work.
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »
I'm considering enrolling in the next Nutritional Consulting program but would like to have a better idea of what alumni are doing with their careers since graduation.

Is there a graduate directory that tells a bit about what everyone is up to? I'm especially interested in finding out about anyone who has started their own business.

Thanks!

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
Re: Curious what Bauman graduates are doing for work.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
Hi Joanne,

I'm sure some people will respond to this, but I also wanted to point you in the direction of this page:  http://www.baumancollege.org/Graduate-Profiles/  Many websites of graduates with their own businesses are listed here.

Nicole

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »
Hi Joanne
I am available to speak with you more about employment opportunities for Bauman College graduates.  I know you are specifically interested in grads who are working in their own business. Please feel free to contact me personally.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Be Well,
Marsha McLaughlin
Admissions Supervisor
800-987-7530
marsha.mclaughlin@baumancollege.org

Offline EmiliaW

• Alumni
    • Wine and Butter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
Hi,

I'm also very curious about what Natural Chef's are currently doing for work? AND Nutrition Educators?

I completed the Nutrition Educator course last year. I haven't directly tried to seek work as  a Nutrition Educator, but this is primarily because I just don't think the demand is out there. From everyone who I have spoken to who completed the course, this is the impression I have gotten. That it is, in this economic climate, VERY difficult to find clients unless you have an established practice.... which is obviously not the case for new grads.

People are interested in your studies - and very interested in receiving help for free :) - but obviously this is not the goal.

I am NOT saying this as a criticism of Bauman College AT ALL. I loved learning with Bauman, I love the programme and I think the approach to nutrition is unique, intelligent and helpful. BUT I don't feel that graduates of the programme (even the NC) are currently all that marketable... those who have jobs in this field seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I would LOVE to be proven wrong so for any new graduates who have found work placements or are able to make a living a this point I would love to hear about how they did it?

I'm currently about to enroll on the Natural Chef course because I believe it to be a bit more vocational and likely to be of assistance. Having said that I'm also prepared to go back to my office job, and do some cheffing on the side, because Im not even certain the Natural Chef course would be that marketable.

SO I'd love to hear from any certified Natural Chef's about what they are up to now?

Again, please don't take this as crit of Bauman. I love the place or I wouldnt be returning to study. BUT from my experience talking to other students I do feel like some of the responses regarding the ease of employment after study in this forum, are a bit misleading... especially to people who may be putting all their savings into study and relying on it as a mechanism for a career?

Thoughts?

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
Hi Emilia

Our Natural Chef graduates are successfully working in the healthy culinary field.  They are working as personal chefs, therapeutic chefs, caterers, at recovery and retreat centers, as cooking instructors and consultants, and in restaurants.  Our Client Services section in the Natural Chef curriculum includes instruction on a variety of culinary careers, from personal chef and catering to community supported wellness kitchens and product lines.  The Bauman College focus includes the range of holistic culinary careers to meet a market that desires and demands chefs with a nutritional focus and commitment to personal and community wellness.

Our website also highlights some of our Natural Chef graduates at http://www.baumancollege.org/Graduate-Profiles/   Please look at the great work they are doing in the field.  I am also attaching a wonderful article on one of our chef graduates who has transformed the entire kitchen and dietary model of a behavioral health hospital in northern California.  The need and calling for our graduates, trained in nutritional and therapeutic cooking, is strong.

I am always available to speak personally with anyone who would like more information.  I would be happy to email you our graduate referral list. Our graduates on this list are available to speak with you about the work they are doing and the state of their profession.

Be Well,
Marsha McLaughlin
Bauman College Admissions Manager
800-987-7530 or 707-794-8785
marsha.mclaughlin@baumancollege.org

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »
I graduated in January 2009 with an NE.  I live in Texas so my situation is a little different and there are not that many holistic nutrition professionals in this area.

That said, I have had my own private practice since I graduated and was working part-time (by choice) with clients.  Last year I started consulting with a Functional Medicine clinic whose primary clientele is those with neurobiological disorders (anxiety, ADHD, bipolar disorder, OCD, etc.)

I agree that it's not easy to find work, especially as the mainstream medical model is not always supportive of holistic more alternative practices.  But it can be done. 

One option that I've recently discovered (although I won't pursue it as I am not looking for more work hours at this point) is the idea of reaching out to other offices to see if they are interested in providing nutrition services to their clients.  They don't have the time or the skill but it makes a great add-on for them. 

I will be honest and say that my hourly rate at the clinic is less than I charge for private clients.  However I believe it works out well because:

1.  I often put in a lot of behind-the-scenes time for private clients for which I don't always charge.  When I work with a clinic client I charge for all of my time.
2.  They handle the billing, paperwork, overhead, utilities, etc.
3.  The also find the clients for me so I am not spending as much, non-billable, time searching for clients.

For me this my current balance of private vs. contract works well. 

jm.02

Offline nancybirang

• Faculty
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
I completed the NC course back in 2001; set up my own consulting service; worked in 2 chiropractors offices; founded a nonprofit that brings nutritionists, chefs, fitness trainers into schools and most recently-started working at the Samaritan Cancer Foundation-in San Jose-providing nutrition support for people on the cancer journey-so many opportunities..
Board Certified, Holistic Nutrition
Registered, National Association of Nutrition Professionals
Bachelor of Science, Medical Technology
Licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist

Offline stephaniesusanne

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
I'm in the NC program now at Berkeley.  I plan on starting my own business when I finish.  No, I don't think there are NC jobs out there per se but I do feel there is a demand for our services.  It's up to the individual to make the opportunities happen. 
I graduated from a top-ranked university 20 years ago, and I was sure that by the mere fact that I had gone to said school, that companies would be throwing jobs at me.  So wrong!  I dug in and made the stuff happen.  I've had an interesting and rewarding professional life; I'm in reinvention mode now and the same applies again.  Put yourself out there and make it happen.
This program is a lot of work.  I've done it while working full-time and raising 2 teenagers.  I would compare aspects of it with a Master's program.  It's a very enriching program and I've learned a tremendous amount and met some wonderful people.