Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Chef pants  (Read 12190 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• Alumni
    • www.eatlivelocally.com
Chef pants
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
May be a ridiculous question. But other than an elastic waist - which I really don't like - and a baggy fit what makes chef pants so specific? And is there an alternative that Bauman will accept? If so, what is it? If not, where do you recommend buying chef pants?

Thanks,
Elizabeth
Natural Chef, 2011
Nutrition Consultant, 2015

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Chef pants
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
Whats wrong with the elastic waist band and super extra large bagginess? Don't you know its the style...that is what they are hoping that you will turn into as a Chef...very wide and baggy! Its like wearing sweat pants to work all the time!

Kidding aside...They make them that way so they have a very universal fit, most chef clothes companies only make a few sizes, (small, medium, large, XXXXX-large)...this saves them money but also you are able to have one size that will fit most of your staff.

What makes them specifically chef clothes is the material, you ideally want something that will not catch on fire easily(cotton/wool/fire resistant poly-blends) and will be cool and comfortable for the long hours in a hot kitchen and on your feet all day...So you still want to be a Cook huh?

I can't speak for Bauman, but what I imagine is that they want you to have something that falls along industry standards and that you have some uniformity with the other students. So I imagine that if you find a pair of very comfortable cotton (not jean material), black pants, that you would be inline with their policies.

I've tried alot of different brands, but the one I keep coming back to is "Chefwear". They have the best fit, materials and craftsmanship. You'll pay a premium, but they will be your unique signature and will last you awhile. Just be sure to go with a darker color (even black), so it will be easy to cover the beet and curry stains!
http://www.chefwear.com/

Well dressed chef,
j
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline Culinary Program Director

• Culinary Program Director
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
Thank you for the response, BluJay.

Elizabeth,  yes - Bauman College requires that students where Chef pants that meet industry standard. As BluJay mentioned, Chef pants are designed to be flame retardant.

Chefwear is the industry favorite and for good reason, but Dickie's also makes a reliable line. A lot of our students, grad, and faculty purchase those. The fit is just like traditional slacks.

Hope that answers your question!
Thanks,
Sita

Offline Elizabeth

• Alumni
    • www.eatlivelocally.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Hadn't thought about the flame retardant part of it since nearly every chef you see on TV is wearing jeans.

After much looking Chefwear was my first choice, and it's good to know about Dickies.

Thanks! 
Natural Chef, 2011

Offline SarahA

• Alumni
  • Lead Kitchen Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
I agree that getting something labeled as a chef pant is definitely important. In addition to flammability issues, a lot of slacks are made out of new synthetic materials that can melt and stick to your skin causing severe burns when they come too close to a heat source or if you pour hot liquid on yourself. Bauman College requires that you get hounds tooth or black chef pants.

BTW, I love my chef coat from ChefWear. It's a women's coat and more fitted, so even if I'm wearing baggy chef pants, I feel stylish:)
Sarah Ackley, Lead Kitchen Manager

Offline Elizabeth

• Alumni
    • www.eatlivelocally.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
These are labeled chef pants at chefwear.com but would like an approval from Bauman staff before buying them.

http://www.chefwear.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=608&DEPARTMENT_ID=117&

Thank you,
Elizabeth
Natural Chef, 2011

Offline Elizabeth

• Alumni
    • www.eatlivelocally.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
No need for an answer to this. . . finally got a hold of a real person at chefwear, and No, these are not for cooks, they are for the cleaning staff.
Natural Chef, 2011

Offline Shari B.

• Alumni
    • FitFeat
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Hi Elizabeth!  Sorry I didn't see this post sooner - you may have already ordered yours.  But I wanted to let you know what most of the female students used in our term.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00237LZHK

They fit well and weren't super baggy like traditional chef's pants.  I didn't mind mine at all.

Hope that helps! 

Shari