Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Spirulina  (Read 5071 times)

Offline RoseannR

• Alumni
Spirulina
« on: March 29, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »
I'm just starting to use Spirulina, however, the fruit smoothie recipe (plain yogurt & fruit) I tried left an undesirable taste.  Can anyone recommend recipes or other ways to Spirulina?

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
Re: Spirulina
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:29:24 PM »
I find most folks prefer a blend of 'superfoods'. I have found 90% of my clients and student enjoy the product called 'Green Magic' which contains spirulina, chlorella, wheat and barley grass, sprouted wheat, apple pectin, seavegetables and lecithin. It is available from distributors or at our campus locations. There are numerous green food blends at the natural food store such as those by the Garden of Eating, Earthrise, Rainbow Light to name a few.
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:53:18 PM »
How much spirulina did you use? 1 level teaspoon per 2 cup smoothie is the max for such a powerful booster food for most people. You can also add some cinnamon or other sweet "spice of life" spices to cut some of the greeness of its taste. Like Ed and his clients, I too prefer the taste of Green Magic- it actually does not have much of a taste of its own so the fruit and yogurt tastes come thru. Less is often more helpful if it helps you get it into your diet. Remember not every "healthy food" is good for everyone all the time. Biochemical indviduality!
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline RoseannR

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 11:19:53 PM »
How much spirulina did you use? 1 level teaspoon per 2 cup smoothie is the max for such a powerful booster food for most people. You can also add some cinnamon or other sweet "spice of life" spices to cut some of the greeness of its taste. Like Ed and his clients, I too prefer the taste of Green Magic- it actually does not have much of a taste of its own so the fruit and yogurt tastes come thru. Less is often more helpful if it helps you get it into your diet. Remember not every "healthy food" is good for everyone all the time. Biochemical indviduality!
Thanks Laura, I'll try the Green Magic.  I think part of the "bitter taste" was due to the fact that I wasn't adding any sweetener. At the time, I only had organic brown sugar at home, but was holding off until I found a sugar alternative.  I've since started adding 1/2-tsp Stevia to the yogurt (plain, non-fat organic) smoothie along with 1-tsp Spirulina and a combo of almond milk, 1-tbl ground flax and/or Lecithin, protein powder & 2 tbl sunflower seeds and fresh seasonal or frozen fruit.  I recently purchased agave & mollasses & look forward to trying Green Magic, Thx again, Roseann

Offline RoseannR

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:39:43 PM »
I find most folks prefer a blend of 'superfoods'. I have found 90% of my clients and student enjoy the product called 'Green Magic' which contains spirulina, chlorella, wheat and barley grass, sprouted wheat, apple pectin, seavegetables and lecithin. It is available from distributors or at our campus locations. There are numerous green food blends at the natural food store such as those by the Garden of Eating, Earthrise, Rainbow Light to name a few.
Thanks Ed, I'll try the Green Magic - sounds like it has more variety & thus, will have more of a balanced taste. I also look forward to trying the natural food stores you recommend. Thx, Roseann

sregalia

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
Hello.  I am a student at Bauman, and have been using "Green Vibrance" for about a year and half.  I love it, rarely get sick, and find it really balances my smoothies.  Along with spirulina, wheat, barley, alfalfa and other grasses, beet juice, royal jelly, and tons of vitamins and minerals for cell membrane and immune support, it has probiotics, antioxidants, and sea veggies. It is Gluten Free.  I am curious to get multiple opinions on this product, as no one I talk to seems to know much about it, and I want to include it in my nutrition plans.

Thanks!!

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »
Ahh, yes the "Green Vibrance" strikes again!

I have been using it for a few years now after searching for a high quality complete formula. I would highly recommend this product for someone looking for a green food supplement.

I take a maintence dose of one scoop a day, usually in my morning smoothie.  By its self it has a very strong "green"  and cultured taste. But I guess I'm weird, as I find it very satisfying. I usually mix it with some smoothie, Keifer, and carob to a thick paste and eat straight or spread on toast.

You will get the best effects of this supplement if you eat it solo with water or juice.

For all you "Greeners", the best way to cover up any odd taste is to add your powder to a "V-8" like tomato based drink with a little cayanne and sea salt. If you can get over the color, you will hardly notice the flavor.

ITS THE GREENING OF AMERICA!
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

anything