Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Michael Pollan's article in the NY Times on bacteria  (Read 2788 times)

Offline JennyH

• Alumni
Michael Pollan's article in the NY Times on bacteria
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »
Well worth reading.  As  a new NC student, I am glad to see that  the information we learned in our Digestive Phisiology unit has being discussed by Michael  Pollan in the widely read NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magazine/say-hello-to-the-100-trillion-bacteria-that-make-up-your-microbiome.html?hp&_r=0

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Michael Pollan's article in the NY Times on bacteria
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
Whats even better, is that you can take the same microbiota gene profile test that he did...this could be interesting to use as a metric for ones health state/progression (ie take a sample before and after a diet program)

http://humanfoodproject.com/americangut/
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
Fabulous article! Thank you so much for posting it. And Blujay, thanks for the link. Only $99, pretty cool. Have you done it?

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
I haven't done it yet, but would love to...maybe this would be a good requirement for the nutrition/chef program? To help add to their database, and could also be an interesting selling point..."We assure that your microbiome will improve after taking our course!"
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
This was a fascinating read !!! So many take-aways.....I found this extremely interesting, in regards to certain immune regulations:
So why haven’t we evolved our own systems to perform these most critical functions of life? Why have we outsourced all this work to a bunch of microbes? One theory is that, because microbes evolve so much faster than we do (in some cases a new generation every 20 minutes), they can respond to changes in the environment — to threats as well as opportunities — with much greater speed and agility than “we” can. Exquisitely reactive and adaptive, bacteria can swap genes and pieces of DNA among themselves. This versatility is especially handy when a new toxin or food source appears in the environment. The microbiota can swiftly come up with precisely the right gene needed to fight it — or eat it. In one recent study, researchers found that a common gut microbe in Japanese people has acquired a gene from a marine bacterium that allows the Japanese to digest seaweed, something the rest of us can’t do as well.
This plasticity serves to extend our comparatively rigid genome, giving us access to a tremendous bag of biochemical tricks we did not need to evolve ourselves. “The bacteria in your gut are continually reading the environment and responding,” says Joel Kimmons, a nutrition scientist and epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. “They’re a microbial mirror of the changing world. And because they can evolve so quickly, they help our bodies respond to changes in our environment.”

Wow, and the info on p. 5 about H. pylori......WOW!!!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »
I donated to the project, so I'll be testing my bacteria. I'm excited. $99 buys one test, which is what I opted to do. $180 gets you two, and on up. They'll also test your dog's microbiome, though they didn't mention anything about cats.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
Oooh, Jodi, do share when you get your results! So exciting!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »
I will, Marlina, unless the results are abominable! Actually, I'm looking forward to this, as I'm curious as to whether I've still got some of the bad bug I drank so much of from the Arkansas River on our trip last year. Boy, did we learn a thing or two about backpacking water filters. Like don't leave them out wet on below freezing nights.

Sounds like it'll be several weeks before I know anything, and that's after I receive my test kit, which should be in a few days.