Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Juicer Or Vitamix??  (Read 27103 times)

adrienneh186

Juicer Or Vitamix??
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
Hi everyone!
I wanted to get more micronutrients into my life, and I know that juicing has helped many people achieve it this way. I was wondering if anyone has experience with juicing, and which juicer to buy?? Or a Vitamix?? Whats the difference? Which is best for juicing?

Offline caycep955

• Alumni
Re: Juicer Or Vitamix??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
Hi!
I wanted to share my personal opinion on the juicing/blending topic as I went through these same debates myself. I actually have had an older model Omega juicer, a newer Bella juicer model, and a Vitamix.

The Omega is high powered and can juice almost anything, but does not have an extractor for pulp which can be a pain. If making a larger juice or using lots of leafy greens, you must stop the machine and manually scoop out the pulp before continuing or it will shut down and shake profusely. It is a hassle to clean it too! The Bella is great for "every now and then" juicing. It can juice well and has a back compartment where it dumps the waste so it's easier to clean.  I have heard of issues with over use and the inside track burning out, but I have not personally experienced this (I probably use mine once every 10 days). Bottom line, I find juicing to be time intensive and feel wasteful for the dumping all of the produce left behind. It takes a lot of produce to make a little juice! Juices should also be consumed immediately to preserve nutrients so you have to have the time to prep, juice, clean up just before you want to enjoy your drink. I find it better to buy cold pressed juices every now and then instead.

My advice is to go with the Vitamix. It is worth the investment! I absolutely love it and use it daily, if not multiple times daily. I recommend checking out Superfood Smoothies by Julie Morris and the Blender Girl online for great recipe ideas. The Vitamix still enables you to get a macronutrient boost but without the hassle and mess of juicing and without wasting the majority of the produce! You can get creative with your smoothies and the possibilities are endless. I love adding in superfood powders as boosters and experimenting with different liquids (green tea, coconut water, nut milks, carrot juice, etc). It is so simple and fast. You dump all ingredients in one container, blend for less than a minute, then simply rinse the container and enjoy the drink as to move on with life without all the mess involved in juicing. You can do 100% veggie or add in fruits, make desserts, dips, so on and so on. I also use my Vitamix for making energy bars (based of nuts and dates, etc) as well as homemade salad dressings and chopping or shredding veggies.

Hope this is helpful! I am an Vitamix enthusiast. :) Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cayce

adrienneh186

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:11:22 PM »
Cayce, thank you for your detailed response! It sounds like I am going to need to investigate the Vitamix situation, since you are not the first person that has recommended it.
Just out of curiosity, are you in the NC or the Chef program?

Offline caycep955

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
No problem - Just my two sense! I am in the NC program.

Offline caycep955

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
Hi again - I also wanted to add that while the blending vs juicing argument is endless, you will receive a great boost of macronutrients from both.  Juicing extracts all of the fiber and therefore give you an instantaneous shot of vitamins and minerals which are easily digestible and readily available for the body.  Smoothies are also liquid form making them easy on the digestion tract as well, but still contain all of the fiber since foods are whole and have not gone through fiber extraction. I think both are great options and you will definitely get a great dose of macronutrients either way. :) cheers -

Offline zeezee

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:51:11 PM »
I bought my Vitamix six months ago and love it. It's easy to use and clean up, it's versatile, and most importantly you get all those great nutrients.

One thing to keep in mind. Costco does sell a Vitamix, however, after doing some research I found out that Vitamix made a machine specifically for Costco. It is a few hundred dollars cheaper, however, it has a smaller motor and does not come with a lot of variable settings that Vitamix typically offers. I read many disgruntled reviews from Costco Vitamix owners. I bought mine at Sur la Table. The sales person walked me through all the great details and benefits, and I was sold. Oh and it came with an amazing cook book too.

Again, I love my Vitamix and highly recommend it, but make sure to get a legit machine.

adrienneh186

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »
Thank you to you both!! Much appreciated.  I know a good blender (esp Vitamix) can be costly. Maybe it can be my present for Christmas this year  :)

Offline kylab993

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
Hey! I just wanted to add to the Vitamix recommendation. I have had mine for about 2 years now, and use it at least once, often many times per day. I make smoothies, nut-butters, nut-cheeses, hummus, salsa, guacamole, pesto and so on. I was lucky enough to find one on Craigslist for half the original price, and it was still under the 7-year warranty it comes with. My brother got one by going to a local vegan restaurant and asking if they were retiring any of their vitamixes He lucked out--they were, so all he had to do was get a new part from the company. Sometimes you can get one from a restaurant if it's no longer working, send it back to the company and have them repair it for about $150--that's way cheaper than the $500 it normally costs. Ask around at your local vegan or smoothie restaurants. Good luck!

Offline kathleens258

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »

Hi Julie,

I want to answer your question as a lover of food, otherwise known as a foodie. 
First of all, I love my vitamix.  It can make nut milks, chop up whole apples, do all sorts of things a regular blender cannot.  I use it to make my smoothies.
However, I have a juicer for my fresh green juice.  I learned from "Hungry for Change, (TM)"
I should not be mixing my fruit with my greens.  My body loves it even more when I feed it just greens.  I have since learned to spice my juice just like a soup or something with herbs and spices or by adding garlic, ginger, etc.
I purchased a Breville juicer, which is wonderful for the price.  I think it was around $200.00 plus.  It was on sale and I had a coupon.  After I purchased it, I discovered from, Hungry for Change (TM) that I should have purchased this type of juicer, a cold pressed juicer and here is why:

Here is what I copied out of the Hungry for Change buying a juicer guide:

"If you're tossing up whether to buy a cold press juicer (also known as masticating or slow juicer) or a centrifugal juicer, we'd recommend spending a little bit extra and investing in a cold pressed juicer. They not only produce a superior quality juice, they also allow you to extract more juice from your fruit and vegetables, and will save you money in the long-term!

A cold press juicer slowly compresses fruits and vegetables to 'squeeze' out the juice instead of using high speed force to separate juice from pulp like a centrifugal juicer does. Cheap centrifugal juicers also introduce heat and oxygen in the process and destroy the enzymes and nutrients in your fruits and vegetables.

If you don't have a cold pressed juicer, that's ok! Remember, any juicing is better than nothing as you've already begun to make a difference to your health!

If you are thinking of buying a new juicer and want to know more about the differences between centrifugal and cold press juicers, check out our Juicer Buying Guide. It includes a wealth of information about the differences between the two and handy tips you might not have known."

So there you have it!  I would recommend buying three juicers if you can, actually 4. 
I use my vita mix for smoothies and Margarita's!  I have a juicer for my green juices or other fresh veggies and fruits that I just want to juice, I have an old fashioned breville citrus juicer for citrus fruits. 
I also want to purchase a "Bullet" for my salad dressings that I make from scratch.  It also has the power to do nuts and emulsify oils into a creamy dressing that is totally healthy and so delicious!!!   It's what works for me.  Happy Eating and Juicing!!!

Kathleen Sturtevant
Student at Bauman College Santa Cruz

Offline paigep044

Re: Juicer Or Vitamix?? Blendtec is the best
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
Hello. I own an omega juicer, a vitamix and most recently, a blendtec blender. I love my blendtec because it keeps the ingredients cooler and therefore preserves the nutrition. I bought one for my friend on-line at costco.com. I use it everyday and it's the only appliance that stays on my counter always.

Offline shirleyl032

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
yeah like someone already mentioned, it depends what you want to do with the machine, make juices with no pulp/fiber or make smoothies. ideally you should have both, but i guess you will probably get more bang for your buck with the vitamix as it really is a high quality machine and you can use it for many different things, not just smoothies. we have a vitamix that we use for green smoothies everyday, we also use it to make creamy dairy free pumpkin/squash soups, almond butter, and dips.

i think ninja has a blender that is supposed to be like a lower priced vitamix.

Offline kathys923

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
I have used a Vitamix, own an Omega Juicer, and bought a Blendtec Blender.  The Blendtec Blender is as powerful as the Vitamix; however, it is much easier to clean and it fits on my small counter beautifully.  I use my Blendtec daily to make whole green smoothies in the morning. I also use it to make fresh almond milk, cashew cream (yum!); soups, etc.; and use my Omega juicer once or twice weekly.  Usually, after a recent visit to my local farmerís market.  I love both whole green smoothies and fresh vegetable and fruit juices.  My Omega juicer is a low speed masticating juicer. The low speed protects and maintains healthy enzymes.  It can also be used to make nut butters and sorbet.  I highly recommend both a high speed blender and juicer to get your micronutrients.  Both the Vitamix and Blendtec are excellent blenders, and I highly recommend an Omega 8006 Juicer, especially if you need to conserve space.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:04:30 PM by kathys923 »

Offline bretlee

• health consultant
    • Best Masticating juicer
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 02:31:39 AM »
Of course a  Juicer. I personally suggest you to Buy a Juicer to keep your Body Ok and get the nutrition properly.

Offline archerrichard24

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 05:47:48 AM »
As my opinion,  it depends on you that what you want to do. If you want to crush something then Vitamix is the best choice for you. We can use vitamix for green smoothies. Vitamix can easily crush anything. For eg., if you want to drink coffee or shake. Then you can choose Vitamix for preparing coffee or shake. But if you want to drink juice then you can take juicer and prepare your juice.
I prefer to use stainless steel squeezer to get juice from lemons and oranges.   

Offline tugceergun

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
I have tried juicing for a couple of days thinking that it will benefit my health but in the end I saw that I ended up consuming too much fruit sugar in the end. And thinking of different ways of using the pulp was a headache all the time.
Then I invested on a Vitamix and I am happy about it.
Because with Vitamix I can make smoothies, frozen treats, soups and different kinds of pastes that actually bring quality to my meals.
The only peoblem I have with Vitamix is that it is really hard to clean it after usage. And I cannot make date balls because they get stuck. So, my ideal kitchen appliances is a mix of food processor and Vitamix.