Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Wording  (Read 1469 times)

Offline ElizabethH438

• Alumni
Wording
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Hello everyone,
I have a question: I have a friend who sells therapeutic grade quality essential oils and she teaches classes. She says that the FDA (I think) has changed things so you can not say black pepper, for example is an anti inflammatory. Instead you would have to say it helps with soreness and is relaxing to the muscles. Does anyone know if those things have been changed for foods? When I recommend anti inflammatory foods to my clients can I say they are anti inflammatory? Or other such "health claims?" Or supplements like magnesium "calming and relaxing and can help with cramps?" Maybe it would be best to check with the state for more information.
Thanks so much!

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Wording
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Always a good idea to check with authoritative agencies to know precisely how a law is worded.

Because we aren't allowed to be prescriptive -- take-this-for-that -- and because we have to be careful about what we say a nutrient is able to do, my approach is to go in search of research studies and then say, Research shows that......  That way, you're killing two birds with one stone: presenting scientific data (or, presumably, you have it on file) and not breaking any laws.

Offline ElizabethH438

• Alumni
Re: Wording
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »
Nice! Thank you!

anything