Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Your favorite balanced, warming breakfast recipe  (Read 6121 times)

Offline astridm592

• Alumni
Your favorite balanced, warming breakfast recipe
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
Hey all,
I have a rookie question for you. As part of the behavioral change goals exercise in Foundations, I have identified that my breakfasts are not up to par. They are usually too carb heavy and and/or cooling. Since this revelation I've been overdoing the oatmeal and maxing out the recommended weekly intake of eggs. In the blogging world, there are definitely some great and tempting ideas – like this rice pudding that's almost too good for breakfast: http://blog.meaningfuleats.com/sweet-brown-rice-quinoa-breakfast-porridge-gluten-free-vegan/. Also, the Bauman Forum offers some great ideas on portable breakfasts:  http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php/topic,7670.msg21073.html#msg21073, and I’m intrigued by the idea of starting cold winter days with soup. I was wondering, though: Besides oatmeal and egg dishes, does anyone have a favorite tried-and-true quick, balanced and (ideally) warm or warming breakfast dish they would like to share?
Thanks,
Astrid

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Your favorite balanced, warming breakfast recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »
Not sure what the "weekly intake of eggs" is supposed to be, but as long as you're purchasing high quality eggs -- preferably pastured -- you can eat them everyday if you want to.

Aside from that, my best trick, and the one most of my clients end up loving, once they get the hang of it, is leftovers. I don't eat big dinners. I don't like heaviness in my belly in the evenings, when my digestion feels more sluggish than earlier in the day. In the morning, however, I want protein and plenty of it. And vegetables. Dinner tastes so much better to me in the morning than it does at night. It's a stretch for some people to change their idea of breakfast foods, but studies show that protein at breakfast improves brain performance, all-day energy levels, and even moods, which I assume you're figuring out for yourself. So, I urge clients to make plenty of food for dinner so that no matter how much they choose to eat at that meal, they have enough for breakfast the next day.

Offline JadaH

• Faculty
    • Jada Hughey, Holistic Health Coach
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
I have grown to love sautéed greens for breakfast. Start with a good fat and some onions and garlic then add greens and anything else you like. Think roasted veggies, sweet potatoes, some good quality sausage, or even poach an egg right on top!
Jada K. Hughey, NC, RYT
Holistic Health Coach | www.jadahughey.com
BC Nutrition Faculty, Santa Cruz, Ca

Offline astridm592

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
Thank you, Jodi and Jada!
I had some delicious leftover wild salmon and broccoli this morning and loved how quickly it all came together. I'm not a morning person, so anything I can make/reheat before I'm fully functional is great.
My body has been loving the egg breakfasts, but a different source of protein is appreciated. (Jodi, I've heard/read several philosophies on egg intake, from 4 to 15 a week. After three consecutive mornings of two eggs, I just felt like my system could use a little variation and might have reached a temporary limit :).
Anyway, thanks for broadening my horizon. It's funny that sauteeing greens didn't even occur to me, just because I didn't classify greens as 'breakfast food'... I'm learning...

Offline susan

• Faculty
  • Susan Arthur
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:16:12 AM »
I too love left-overs for breakfast. I also love soup, I find a veg soup with N. yeast on top, and maybe some leftover animal protein added if I need more staying power that particular morning. If you are partial to a sweeter taste in the morning, try quinoa instead of oatmeal for a change: cook quinoa in nut milk of your choice with 1/4 - 1/2 apple chopped up, raisins (add sweetness), at the end I add some chopped nuts. This makes a satisfying porridge. I also love millet with a poached egg. Millet takes a bit longer to cook than quinoa, 20+ minutes, at the end I add a cup of spinach. While the millet is finishing and spinach is wilting, I poach an egg and serve it on top. This may sound weird but it is delish! It is great even without the egg, add some N. yeast. Yum.
Certified Nutritional Consultant
Personal Nutrition & Lifestyle Consultant; Transformations in Health
Bauman College Instructor
DL Mentor
Reiki Master
Behavior Modification Counselor/Trainer

Offline monazk915

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 06:10:23 PM »
My favorite breakfast recipe these past few weeks has been a Raw Chia Seed and Flax Porridge. I prepare it just before going to bed usually and it is so yummy and satisfying to indulge for breakfast. It isn't warm but very nourishing nonetheless.
In a powerful blender, mix together, 2 cups of filtered water, 1/4 cup of cashews, 1/2 cup of almonds, a pinch of celtic sea salt, 1/4 tsp of cardamom seeds, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg,1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp alcohol free liquid vanilla. Whizz together to make a nutmilk and pour into a glass bowl. Add 1/2 cup of chia seeds. Cover the bowl with a lid and refrigerate. In the morning, add 2 Tlbsps ground flaxseeds and mix. Add choice of berries and chopped nuts and 1 Tlbs honey or maple syrup and enjoy!!! Yummy and so satisfying!!!
Monaz Kapadia

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 04:17:07 PM »
I am quite fond of a breakfast wrap that generally is either teff or rice tortilla., handful of chopped greens like kale, collards, spinach and/or arugula, with some duck rillettes or smoked duck breast, all toasted on the default for a toaster oven, finished with 1/2 avocado and some sauerkraut.   

Thank goodness for the Fifth Quarter in the East Bay. Those in SF have The Fatted Calf charcuterie. Also Three Stone Hearth occasionally offers rillettes and liver pate. 

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline crystalb156

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »
My favorite breakfast is part leftover, part not. It is dark greens, with ground turkey from night before (cooked in good fats, w dash of Himalayan salt), black beans, and a poached egg on top. Gets my digestion going and filling. It is quite satisfying.