Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Healthy Alternatives to Unhealthy Snacks  (Read 1556 times)

Offline afaris804

• Alumni
Healthy Alternatives to Unhealthy Snacks
« on: April 11, 2016, 04:18:18 PM »
I have found my greatest struggle as of lately is suggesting viable alternatives to those who are close to me consuming unhealthy snacks. My parents, for example, live in a food desert in the southeastern US. They consume large amounts of diet sodas, as well as non-fat or sugar-free creamer for their coffee. They also snack on highly processed foods and struggle with cooking. They want to live a healthier lifestyle as well as lose weight as they reach retirement age, but are having  a hard time giving up these treats. Convenience is necessary for them. I have educated them about the dangers of these foods, to which they were receptive, but I'm having a hard time supplying easy alternatives for them to switch to.

Does anyone have any ideas, simple snack recipes, or beneficial beverage options that will help ease their transition?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:20:59 PM by afaris804 »

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Healthy Alternatives to Unhealthy Snacks
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Having just read the book FRENCH KIDS EAT EVERYTHING by Karen Le Billon, I am questioning the need for snacks for adults, unless there are serious blood sugar or adrenal issues.  Eating a hormonally balanced meal three times daily can work so snacking is not needed. This looks like at least 20 grams of protein per meal, ample healthy fats (1 tbsp = 126 calories so a little goes a long way), and plenty of vegetables of various colors and textures (aim for 3 1/2 cup servings per meal).    Meals can be simply assembled with some planning. Batch cook and save portions in the freezer or frig such as: making a weekly vegetable soup using seasonally available produce; roasting meat, poultry or fish; baking some root vegetables; cooking a batch of cooked grains; prepping salad fixings with home made salad dressing; making a breakfast frittata with vegetables and eggs, etc.   There's a current thread on the Forum about learning to cook that may be helpful (cooking shows, useful blogs, well-written cookbooks, etc.). 

If snacks are needed, this is where fruit might come in.  Accompany that with nuts/seeds or nut butter or a 1-2 oz hunk of cheese to provide added satiety.  Some savory ideas include raw vegetables and dips/purees like hummus, baba ganouj, guacamole, etc. 

Beverages can include pure water, herb teas, kombucha (nice substitute for sodas and doable once a scoby is procured through the mail). 

I hope this will help your parents think about another way to be nourished.

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College