Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: What could raise triglycerides on a low carb diet?  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Dana Ced

• Alumni
What could raise triglycerides on a low carb diet?
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »
Hello,

As a result of a 21 day reset plan (building diet with low carbohydrate, moderate protein, high fat) my client's total cholesterol decreased from 253 to 205 and LDL went from 160 to 123, both were expected. However, her HDL also decreased from 51 to 45 and triglycerides increased from 271 to 287. What could probably have caused the increase in triglycerides on a low carb diet? The carbs she did consume were mixed berries, leafy greens, and a lot of different vegetables (except potatoes). No other fruit, no grains and legumes, no sweeteners. The fats she consumed were nuts and seeds, olive and coconut oil, and avocado.

Thank you.

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: What could raise triglycerides on a low carb diet?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »
Check into quality of fat and sleep and also level of stress during this time period.  Food reactions and sensitivities could also make a difference as can exercise patterns.  Any can be confounding variables for blood lipids.

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Dana Ced

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:16:34 PM »
Thanks Nori.

I am confident that she was consuming only quality fat because she has people who cook for her at home, they don't use any vegetable oils. Also, she did IgG4 food intolerance testing last year and this 21 day plan excluded everything that showed up on the test (gluten, dairy, cabbage, etc.)

Could work related stress and very strenuous exercise have contributed to the increased triglycerides? She recently started the SWEAT workout routine by Kayla Itsines, which includes  high intensity intervals for 28 minutes. Previously she did not do any physical activity at all.

Offline birdy35

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »
Hi dana, Not sure if you found a sufficient ans.However  you often referred about CHO.I believe you should pay attention to the types of fat your client was consuming.Was she consuming alot of trans fat? that most likely was the culprit.Trans fat raises LDL and lowers HDL which causes a double whammy. reinvestigate the types of fat your client was consuming.was she consuming store bought peanut butter?Hydrogenation on food label essentially mean trans fat.
best of luck
Birdy

Offline shamanicompton

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:08:31 AM »
Hi! I would suggest limiting the fats in the diet and adding more healthful carbs. I would strongly recommend removing coconut oil as it is 90% saturated fat which is higher than butter and even lard! Maybe do a trial period of no coconut oil and see if there are any changes.
Here is my source:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/coconut-oil

Offline Dana Ced

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 07:30:58 PM »
Hi Birdy, thank you for your opinion. I'm confident that my client only consumed quality fat. She ate most of her meals at home and they don't use any vegetable oils or packaged products that might have trans fats. She did indeed have almond butter on this plan, but even that was made by me ;) so just a single ingredient. 

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
Alcohol is the most reliable way to increase triglycerides. Was she drinking wine with dinner? Did she have a cocktail occasionally? Did she consume more fruit as her carb source? How is her liver health generally? Food allergies and dysbiosis can affect liver's production of triglycerides. We also see increased Tgs when the thyroid is challenged, mostly by stress.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline Dana Ced

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »
An update on this case:

My client's Naturopathic Doctor concluded that the triglycerides could have been affected due to the vegan protein powder she was using in her smoothies. She used the hemp protein powder by Nutiva. It provides 15 g of protein and 9 g of carbs per serving. She will now switch to an animal based protein powder and see what happens.

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »
The rise could have been simply from insulin resistance that can occur for several reasons. And what she is eating is still providing sugars in the diet directly and the body can generated it own glucose from a variety of sources including some amino acids. People also overlook the fact that vegetables and even meats still contain sugars.

The information provided is too limited to really narrow it down and give solid answers.

Consider things such as is she overweight? Does she have PCOS? Does she have blood sugar issues such as reactive hypoglycemia?...........  We cannot look at one symptom and come to conclusions.  Many things are interrelated in the body.

anything