Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Food as Friend or Enemy  (Read 493 times)

Offline antoniospellman

• Student
Food as Friend or Enemy
« on: February 28, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
I just wanted to ask everyone willing to share their own personal story with food; particularly as it pertains to your relationship with it. As a kid and all the way up through college, I viewed food as a potential enemy and something that was largely forbidden and a means to an end. That end to me was a perfect body and the key to a molded self image. But any imperfection led to a lot of self guilt, blame, a fragile mind and misguided perception of health and functional body. Now, I've learned that food is ultimately medicine and only poisonous in the wrong dosage. It is the thing that connects us to our best selves, the planet and to each other. It is the thing that is unique to us all and a form of expression and creativity. I'm just curious to hear everyone else's story as well as their own personal philosophy!

Offline meghansimoens

• Student
Re: Food as Friend or Enemy
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:42:55 PM »
Hey Antonio,

I appreciate you bringing up this topic and I appreciate you sharing your own story.

Growing up, I didn't think much at all about what I ate. I was a very active kid and was always very lanky and skinny. I didn't pay attention to how the food I ate would effect my body or how it effected my energy and mood. I did eat a pretty balanced diet but if I ate 4 servings of ice cream after dinner as well, I didn't think much of it. I ate whatever I was craving. Unfortunately, this intuitive eating style did not continue. After some traumatic events in my life, I used eating as a false sense of control. I took healthy eating to the extreme and I developed anorexia. I did start the see food as the enemy among other issues going on in my life. Through years of treatment, I was able to start seeing food as energy again and no longer used it in a harmful way to control the craziness in my life. I now focus on intuitive eating or instinctive eating, as I did as a kid but obviously, a little healthier and less childlike. This is my "why" for taking this course. I want to educate people on true healthy eating habits and not what is popular advertised. I hope to help others find this balance in their life without feeling that they need to go to any type of extreme and suffer.

Offline elisemariebrown

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »
This is such an important topic when it comes to creating a healthy relationship with food. We all have a strong connection to food, one way or another, and I feel it's so important to share how it affects our lives

Growing up I wasn't taught much about nutrition, other than the idea of eating 5 fruits/veggies per day and limiting use of butter and red meat. While I didn't have the basic building blocks for nutrition, I still ate with a "clean" conscience. I didn't stress about limiting my intake of food or creating a list of good/bad foods. I only ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full. Somewhere along the way, between undergrad and post college life, I developed restrictive food habits that I saw from my roommates. I began obsessing over calories, but didn't consider the quality of the food I was eating. I was miserable and began a cycle of restrictive eating during the week and binging on unhealthy foods on the weekend. It affected my weight and most importantly it was affecting my confidence and self worth.

Within the past 6 months I began researching intuitive eating and started learning what it means to eat for my health and not just for the scale. I still have a ways to go, but I feel such a weight lifted off my shoulders. I focus on the quality of my meals/ingredients and listen for my body's personal hunger cues. It feels wonderful and I can't wait to see how I grow and evolve later down the line. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:11:23 PM by elisemariebrown »

Offline rohitabhatia

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 10:05:16 PM »
Hi Antonio,

Glad that you shared your relationship with food and that you are interested to know about people's food philosophy. Everyone's relationship with food is quite different. Some associate it with their childhood memories, while some associate with a person that they love. Where one just eats to fill up their bellies, there are people who are really mindful about what they are eating.

As a kid, I did not really have any relationship with food, I was not even that person who eats food for pleasure.  Even though there was never a dearth of freshly cooked food at home, my disinterest in eating led to me being Bulimic. During my college days, I was introduced to a lot of outside food consisting refined carbohydrates and sugar. Even though I consumed these junk items I was pretty unhealthy and skinny because I was not eating a lot of nutritious food. At one point, I was shuffling into a lot of new homes and this resulted into erratic food habits leading to an unfit, unhealthy and overweight version of me.

It was only when I started my fitness journey that I became more selective about the quality of food I was eating. I had some great trainers who helped with diet plans. The results did not last long because I was dependent on someone else to guide me and let me know the next step. It is only now after a lot of mistakes and learning that I have become more mindful and aware about what I am eating, how I am eating, and the source of the produce.
I have now adopted the Eating for Health concept. What I like is that I donít feel pressurized because even though I eat good quality nutritious food on a daily basis, I am at a liberty to treat myself with Eating for Pleasure on occasions. This actually helps me to be a little more motivated and consistent with my food choices.