Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Mindful Eating At Work  (Read 533 times)

Offline emilymccue

• Alumni
Mindful Eating At Work
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:49:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am working on eating mindfully at work and would love any recommendations/tips/resources. I eat two meals a day at the office (at my desk) and have found that I'm using rushing through my meal in about 10-15 minutes, and even in this short window I feel the need to continue to work. I've realized eating this quickly translate to me eating more than I need, and really not appreciating the delicious food I have to enjoy. So any practical tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Emily

Offline kelynogaki

• Alumni
Re: Mindful Eating At Work
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:29:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

Working can be overwhelming for a lot people and the fact that we are on a rush or stressed affect our decisions when it comes to food! I love this top and I would love for recommendations as well.

When it comes to snacks (all organic), I always have dates, nuts and bags of tea in my bag. I also like to bring kiwi, lemons and apples to work. How about you all?

Offline nellechurchill

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
If you have access to a fridge, some of my favorite food pairings to keep on hand:
 -A container of yogurt and a carton of blueberries, optional raw honey (1/2 cup yogurt and 1/2 cup of blueberries thrown in a bowl, maybe with a little raw honey on top)
-Unsalted almond butter and apples, optional Himalayan pink salt (slice some apples and have a little container of almond butter on hand that you can scoop out with the slices, maybe have a little pink salt on top of the almond butter to bring out the sweetness of the apples)
-Carrots, celery, cucumber, and hummus (just your typical veggies and hummus dip)

You may already be doing some of these and you may not have access to a fridge, but if you do these are pretty simple in terms of mixing some ingredients together and having something clean that will tie you over for a bit. =)

-Nelle

Offline katherinehaysbert

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 08:32:26 PM »
Hi Emily,

Mindful eating is something I have been working on as well. What has helped me on my journey has been to begin each meal with three deep breaths. It is important to center yourself and begin a meal with clarity and calmness. Especially during a busy and stressful work day. Once you have centered yourself, saying an intention before your meal may prompt a more relaxing experience as well. For example, stating, "I am present in this moment, I intend to enjoy this meal thoroughly and without haste". Simply communicating with yourself about taking your time and being in the present moment with your food can help tremendously.

I also recommend bringing food from home. It sounds like you have delicious food to eat at work! If you are not doing so already, be sure that your meals are whole, nutritous foods that have a variation of fat, fiber and protein to keep you satiated and keep your blood sugar balanced throughout the rest of your work day. Usually, anxiety is prompted by blood sugar imbalance. Eating a sufficient amount of fat, fiber and protein will help eleviate this imbalance.

Hopefully, your workspace provides you with a refridgetor as well. If not, I would recommend bringing a lunch box with either a cool packet or an insulated lunch container. This will help to bring more ease to your day, so that you will not have to worry about if your food is ready and safe to eat when it comes to mealtime. Allowing you to begin your meal with ease.

I hope this helps!

Best,
Katherine Haysbert

Offline georgiannabaker

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Some tips that have helped me are  finding a quiet place for the snack(if possible) Doing some deep breaths beforehand and even stretching for a moment to get the energy up.

I like bringing healthy snacks like apples, a nut mix of almonds,cashews, walnuts, goji berries Sometimes I'll do celery slices with almond butter or goat yogurt mixed with blueberries.
Making some nice herbal tea with chamomile,lemon balm, and gotu kola helps aide digestion and soothe the nerves. Gotu kola helps with concentration and is very helpful for long hours of work I've found.

-Georgianna