Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Michael Pollan is coming to the Capitola Book Cafe!!!!  (Read 3943 times)

Offline KellyQu

• Alumni
Michael Pollan is coming to the Capitola Book Cafe!!!!
« on: December 31, 2007, 10:34:44 PM »
For those of you who have had the opportunity to read an "The Omnivore's Dilemma; A Natural History of Four Meals"- I don't have to tell you what a well-written and engaging author Michael Pollan is.  Now you have an opportunity to hear this fantastic journalist speak!  This book signing coincides with his new book release "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto".  Michael Pollan will be at the Capitola Book Cafe on Wednesday January 16th at 7:30.  They are selling tickets for this.  The 1st ticket is $25.00 which includes his new book that is set for release on January 1st.  You can purchase additional tickets for $5.00 each.  I was there today and was told there is limited seating.

For those who haven't heard of or read anything from Michael Pollan; "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is a must read and is an eye-opening experience that really puts in to perspective what we as a society eat.  His new book is based on the concept of a "mostly plant" based diet as well as looking toward traditional diets based on our own family cultures.  These concepts are music to a Nutritionist's ears!

Hope to see some of you there!  Happy New Year!

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
Re: Michael Pollan is coming to the Capitola Book Cafe!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
Thanks Kelly, How fortunate we are! See you there!!
Cathy

Offline LewisP

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
Not to start a battle...but I think people place too much praise on Michael Pollan. In his book "Omnivore's Dilemma", he claims veganism is "naive" and "dangerous" and admits he "pities" vegetarians. He writes poetically about shooting captive pigs to "see if he could" yet uses the argument that humans are physically designed to eat meat...to me shooting a captive animal is about the least "natural" form of the food chain. He goes as far as to suggest that we are "denying our heritage by not eating animals"...wouldn't this be the same heritage that includes rape, murder, slavery, environmental destruction, homophobia, genocide...etc,etc. Check out B.R. Myers Sept. 2007 review of Pollan's book in the Atlantic Monthly magazine (available to view on line) called "Hard to Swallow: The Gourmet's ongoing failure to think in moral terms"...he takes Pollan to task for being ill informed, hypocritical and just plain wrong in so many regards...I'm not putting this out to start a fight...I just think a lot of people would view this man in a different light if they knew more of his views and actions...

Offline JenniferU

• Alumni
  • free vitamin d
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Not to be a devil's advocate, but I loved Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore's Dilemma. I am always telling people about it because it covers such a wide range of issues and is written in such an engaging storytelling style, it's hard to put down. I appreciate how as a journalist, he doesn't have a particular ax to grind but rather is following his own curiosity which leads him to look straight into the eyes of our food production (factory farming), work side by side with corporate resisters (biodynamic farmers) and learn the traditional arts of mushroom foraging and game hunting preserved from the 'old world'. I came away from the book with a vicarious sense of aliveness and connectedness from what he shared. I appreciated that he gave voice to his ambivalence about his modern lifestyle and I sensed that he was altered by his intimate experiences. Its more interesting/challenging to be presented with a point of view different from the everyday. Something rings true for me about this - neither the outdated Standard American Diet nor a purist raw, vegan or even strict vegetarian choice. Anyway, it inspired me to look more closely at the world around me. Take more pictures of mushrooms, look at more birds, plant more food.. Still on the fence about shooting anything, tho.  Keep reading!

Offline LewisP

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:54:38 PM »
While I do agree with quite a lot of what Pollan says in his book about returning to a more natural diet, it seems clear to me that he does have "an Axe to grind"...Being opinionated is fine, but using terms like "naive" and "dangerous" to describe veganism/vegetarianism is clearly a reflection of his bias... Consuming animal products (or not) is a personal issue...one to be respected... Pollan's technique of name calling clearly details his stance of perceiving his choice "right" and the choices of others "wrong"...anyone who can speak in such unfounded, condensending language is (in my opinion) counterproductive and ignorant... I have read many books that do a better job at detailing the sad state of America's diet that don't have to resort to sensationalist ramblings and moral superiority...

anything