Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Warming Winter Salad  (Read 2004 times)

Offline MariaF

• Alumni
Warming Winter Salad
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
This is a great, nourishing salad to enjoy on a crisp winter day!

Bitter Greens with Roasted Root Vegetables
Serves 4-6

3-4 parsnips, peeled and cubed
1-2 garnet yams, peeled and cubed
1 bunch bitter greens, like rapini or watercress, rinsed, left whole

Dressing
1 tbl olive oil
1 tbl tamari
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2-3 tablespoons brown rice syrup
grated zest of 1 lemon

Preheat the oven to 375o.
Place prepared parsnip and yam pieces in a mixing bowl. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and tamari. Toss to coat. Place onto parchment lined baking sheet.  Combine balsamic vinegar and rice syrup together and drizzle over top of veggies.  Finish with a sprinkling of lemon zest over the dish. Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Remove cover and return to oven to tenderize the veggies and brown the edges, another 15-20 minutes. While the vegetables bake, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the greens. Drain well and slice into bite-sized pieces. To serve, mound the root vegetables in the center of a serving platter. Arrange cooked greens around the rim of the platter. Serve hot.

Offline MariroseP

• Alumni
Re: Warming Winter Salad
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:36:34 PM »
Maria, thank you, thank you, thank you for something new to do with winter veggies.  This is our first year going almost all seasonal - so it's been a switch for the family and for me who does all the creating and cooking.  I was just saying tonite at dinner that I am "way over" the winter veggie season and ready to see some new things sprout at the farmer's market so my creative juices can come alive again. 

Now I can hold out for at least another day with your recipe!  The veggies you picked also speak to me...especially the bitter greens.

Marirose