Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Natural/Personal Chef Job Prospects? Considering a Career Change.  (Read 10262 times)

Offline JollyDog

Hi. I'm searching for my true passion. If you see it, please email me.

On my quest, I've realized that my current profession is not rewarding my spirit, so I want to change careers. The idea of helping others by feeding them nourishing foods warms me; it puts a smile across my soul. Being a natural/personal chef could be "it," but at my age, I cannot afford to run naked and care-free through a sunny field of good feelings. I need to cover my nominal living expenses, and create/build a nest egg.

What can anyone tell me about the natural/personal chef job market? Honestly, what range of annual income can one truly expect, within the context of sensible, long-range financial planning? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, which might provide more clients but likely more competition, too. A big plus of such a marketable skill is that I would finally be free to work anywhere in the world.

Thanks! And may you all find work that you love.

- JollyDog

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:50:56 AM by Lori Cottrell »

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Natural/Personal Chef Job Prospects? Considering a Career Change.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
Hi there,

Personal cheffing is a hot profession.  Though you don't need to come to Bauman College to learn the "secrets" of this hip profession, we train you in cooking the wholesome natural foods that you indicate that you would like to provide to future clients.  As we are a vocational school, the professional chef vocation is what we teach in our business practices section.  See Here for our complete course breakdown.

To discuss more about your questions and concerns, I'd suggest that you check out the Personal Chefs Network .  They are an excellent professional organization which has a free forum for asipiring chefs.  Look to their "Free Forum for Aspiring Chefs" located on the left hand navigation (11 bullets down)  Once you register there (free), you can be in conversation with their members, who have proven to be quite helpful and a wonderful resource.  I have seen questions in there just like yours so you will find your answer, not only by asking, but by reading prior posts. Definitely sign up for their e-newsletter!   I have been watching this organization for awhile now and I see that they provide excellent support to their members.  Our grad, Jesse Miner has found them to be quite helpful as he has developed and built-up his vegan personal cheffing bussiness in the SF Bay Area.

My 2 cents on your questions:  Personal cheffing in the Bay Area is hot.  We advise our students that they should start out after school charging $25 and up per hour (this includes shopping time, etc), however depending on your reputation and clientele, you can raise that significantly.  We have grads doing all sorts of gigs, from working full time with one family to having multiple clients that they work with.  Yes, this profession is applicable around the world.

Good luck in making your decision and if this is what you decide to do, Bauman  College will give you the skills needed to put your dreams in to action.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:58:01 PM by Oshyan Greene »
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Chef Sharon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
Hi JollyDog:

I'm Sharon Worster and I founded Personal Chefs Network in 2000! Thanks for the compliments Marlina.

You are welcome to call me toll free @ 1.877.905.2433 so I can answer all your questions and please do register to use our free ~Open Kitchen~ forum at our website. Good luck and if you love to cook there is no better way to make a full-time or part-time living.

Your friend in the kitchen,

~Sharon
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:07:38 PM by Marlina E »

KellyT

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:07:13 PM »
Marlina!

Thank you so much for posting the link to the Chef certification sheet! It is a newer version than the one I had and I noticed several changes. I really like the new format. I am planning to start the program this fall and this updated information is just what I needed.

:)

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
Hi Kelly,

That link is to the information posted on our website.  We do update and change curriculum periodically to improve the courses.  Always look to the Bauman College website for the most current information. The mini-syllabus for programs can be found on the individual program pages.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »
The one thing about job prospects in areas other than California, is that you may have to go out and drum up business on their own.  There are not a lot of places where you can cook the Bauman way in small towns in the US, but they are out there.  Good Luck!
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef
Bastyr MSN/DPD candidate 2013

anything